Help Identifying Old Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GorillaToast

Nov 30, 2022
Columbus, OH
We recently had our fireplace inspected in conjunction with having some loose brick repairs done to the chimney. We were told by the inspector that since this insert was not up to code because there was no way to connect a SS round chimney liner to it, we would have to replace it. He then proceeded to try and sell us a $6k insert!
zLBg4qPxTwOm0sYgzEcgLg.jpgxB72M8%GQwWAZ386yIx6WQ.jpgWxaORgW3S4eY+mPl+b0irQ.jpg

We are perfectly happy with this insert and wold love to keep using it rather than spend $3-5k on a new one, but are concerned about code violations negating our insurance should a fire occur. Does anyone know the manufacturer or if a suitable boot can be fitted to accomodate a SS chimney liner? I've pulled it out enough to see both ends and top, but not the back. There is no identification plate on it that I can find.

The opening for the damper in the top is a rectangle measuring 14" x 4/34".

Thanks, GT

We recently had our fireplace inspected in conjunction with having some loose brick repairs done to the chimney. We were told by the inspector that since this insert was not up to code because there was no way to connect a SS round chimney liner to it, we would have to replace it. He then proceeded to try and sell us a $6k insert!
View attachment 304158View attachment 304159View attachment 304160

We are perfectly happy with this insert and wold love to keep using it rather than spend $3-5k on a new one, but are concerned about code violations negating our insurance should a fire occur. Does anyone know the manufacturer or if a suitable boot can be fitted to accomodate a SS chimney liner? I've pulled it out enough to see both ends and top, but not the back. There is no identification plate on it that I can find.

The opening for the damper in the top is a rectangle measuring 14" x 4/34".

Thanks, GT
Looks like a buck knockoff. A boot would most likely need to be fabricated and then an 8" insulated liner installed