Help identifying type of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

YourLocal9

Dec 21, 2018
Hi All,

The wife and I just installed a wood stove in our home so I've been very busy acquiring firewood for the upcoming years. I just came across a few cords of some that I'm not entirely sure exactly what it is. I'm thinking it could possibly be red oak since all, and I mean ALL, of the leaves on the ground in the surrounding area of where these logs are laying are red oak leaves. The grain just seems to be very, very red/pinkish to be oak, but I could very well be wrong. The wood itself is very dense, quite heavy, and smells amazing (although that could just be me that thinks that). Anyway, I'd love to hear what people think this type of wood could be. Thanks!

Attachments

• Wood.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 195
Looks like I seasoned red oak to me, but I'm no expert either!

Red Oak. It's an acquired scent. Smells like money...

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Photos are not always enough for good ID. That one shouts "Red oak", as do your comments about odor and density. Best firewood in the world, in my opinion. (Looks great burned with hickory if you have a window in your stove. Hence, why I also covet hickory.)

How are you from my house? That looks like too much wood for one family.

Last edited:
Red oak, no if's, and's, or but's about it.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Red oak. Split them again, you may be able to burn in two years.