help identifying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I have found 5 or six trees that were downed in the wind a few weeks back. I got permission from the owner cut and haul all I wanted. The guy didn't mention what kind of trees they were, I thought they might be oak. After bucking and hauling about 3/4 cord of 16" rounds it dawned on me that I didn't have strain once when picking up thes 18" across 16" long pieces. It seemed way to light to be an oak or maple. I have attached 2 pictures of a couple of sticks taken from a limb from the tree. The trees came from one tree, 5 or 6 trees growing from the same ground without an above ground trunk that I can see. The trees are quite tall and large 18" across. Deep grooves in the bark. I can't find any leaves since it is winter in southern maine and we have some snow cover. they were growing next to a train track in a pretty wet spot judging by the water loged bases of the trees. Any help would be appreciated before I expend much more energy on wood that may not be worth the bother.

Thank You

Attachments

• E-mail DSC02478.jpg
    E-mail DSC02478.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 425
post a larger pic of a split too

What area do you live in? I had some that looked like that. Turned out to be basswood. Very white wood when split, not much grain, light, easy to split, held water like a terry cloth. When dry, burned OK, but smelled strong. Hard to tell without a clean cut or a split to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.