Help me choose a bigger wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A large Army Cannon heater would provide you with more heat. It will be interesting to see if that stove is big enough next winter. The coldest of weather is gone.

Grandpa IV with glass;

IV GP Georgia Front.JPG Georgia Grandpa IV

Many more Grandma's in circulation compared to Grandpa with glass;

IV Nickel.jpgCalifornia reconditioned Grandma. Notice the doors come out to the stove edge. Grandpa has some stove front showing.
This is how you can tell in a picture what it is when the seller has no idea.

Cast iron panels were also an option in case of glass breakage and radiate more heat;

Grandpa IV Glass w cast inserts Century 1.jpg Grandpa IV with cast iron panels.

IV cast iron door panels 1.jpg IV cast iron door panels 2.jpg I don't have one, so I can't tell you if they use the same doors or if the doors on Grandpa are larger than Grandma. The solid doors are larger on Grandpa I, not sure about the glass doors. And I've never seen a Grandpa III with the smaller glass opening.

Glass shape of Series III Grandma, Insert, and Honey Bear;

GM III Ind. 2.jpg If a Grandpa door like this exists I've never seen one. I'll search brochures of that time period. Each fabricator didn't have to make each model. So there were some models never made at some fabricators. So literature doesn't mean they were produced. Still looking for a brass XL I have the brochure for. They have only surfaced with nickel in the sun door.

Thanks for the lesson, Coaly. I've never seen one during my searching. I'm always watching out for Fisher stoves, and have since I bought my Grandma Bear. That stove needs to get the same treatment my new stove just got. Soda blast and fresh paint. My plan is to build another building dedicated to metalworking, so I can get all my metalworking tools and machines out of the woodshop. They don't play nice together. Then, I'll heat that space with the Grandma......

Thank you very, very much for all your time and help with my project.

Hawkfan9, You can always open the doors to enjoy the fire. But being in a wood shop would be at peril if a spark decided to leap out. Did you get the screen with your purchase ? If not your could easily make one from 50% opening expanded metal probably 16 gauge would due the job.

The woodstove is located in the center of my shop. No wood shavings in that area to potentially ignite, and if I were to open the doors to enjoy the fire, I would be sitting right there in front of the stove for a 5 minute break or so, so I don't think there is any issue for a potential fire. I would never leave the doors open unless I was sitting right there. My workbench, where I spent 75% of my time, is about 15 feet away from the stove area. The stove area has woodworking machinery on one side of it, and my metalworking lathe and mill on the other.

If you google "Army Cannon No. 20 wood stove" you'll pull it up.

My experience with those old cast iron pot belly stoves is very limited, but not good. A lot of extra work sealing them up with rope and/or refractory cement. I may be wrong about that, but my only experience was a punt........

Oh ya !!!!! It’s a big pot belly stove . I like the looks of them. We had one in the shooting house of the gun club years ago. Do they heat as well as the big Fishers ?

What a beautiful job of work you accomplished and that old coaly and bholler was right with you in helping to regenerate this beautiful historic stove---well done..Why not paint the front design in silver paint for that would look beautiful especially with the name" Fisher" then "ship" the stove here and we can heat up this whole city. Well done and sure enjoyed the thread...clancey

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankdozer
If you google "Army Cannon No. 20 wood stove" you'll pull it up.

My experience with those old cast iron pot belly stoves is very limited, but not good. A lot of extra work sealing them up with rope and/or refractory cement. I may be wrong about that, but my only experience was a punt........
That and they are coal stoves. They work ok for that but are pretty crappy woodstoves

36 deep, 65 Wide, 27 High

Waynesboro PA 36 deep 65 wide 27 high.jpg Waynesboro, PA make offer. (we like our scrapple in Peeyay)
Double nesting eyes for massive kettles.

I'm not sure about the clearances here, that bench is mighty close and the toilet in the background just may cause chestnuts roasting on an almost open fire.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
What a beautiful job of work you accomplished and that old coaly and bholler was right with you in helping to regenerate this beautiful historic stove---well done..Why not paint the front design in silver paint for that would look beautiful especially with the name" Fisher" then "ship" the stove here and we can heat up this whole city. Well done and sure enjoyed the thread...clancey

Clancey-thank you. I do plan on painting the trees and the "Fisher" silver this summer, but just needed to get heat back in my workspace. Once it warms up in a few weeks, I'll be able to do that. It's still in the 20's here at night.......

Spray some paint in the cap and let it tack up. Spread it on the low spots and let dry. Sand flat if you have to. That's the only way I know to fill low spots with something that won't burn or melt off.

Would it be too dangerous to the stovetop to braze them? A bronze rod only needs around 1600°F to melt.

36 deep, 65 Wide, 27 High

View attachment 276837 Waynesboro, PA make offer. (we like our scrapple in Peeyay)
Double nesting eyes for massive kettles.

I'm not sure about the clearances here, that bench is mighty close and the toilet in the background just may cause chestnuts roasting on an almost open fire.

As an unlisted appliance, 36" are required between it and the nearest toilet, though this distance may be reduced by an airgapped chestnut protector. (I made mine out of steel studs, cinder block, cement board, and an old jock strap.)

This looks like a perfect candidate for a Rocket mass heater! You would have an endless supply of scrap off cut dry wood to use to fuel the rocket mass heater. You will need very little wood.
How often do you need to use the shop? Having the shop get to freezing temps over night must be hard!
Definitely will not cost 4000$

Here thomas built a rocket mass shop heater.
Rocket mass shop heater

DSCN0059.JPG

DSCN0544.JPG