Help me ID this wood please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spoon059

Oct 24, 2008
DC Metro
I stumbled into a decent supply of wood, but I don't know exactly what it is. I think it's white oak, but I've never had any before. Can someone help me out with this? 20190322_221320.jpg 20190322_221332.jpg 20190322_221314.jpg

Need better, more pics. My guess would be maple of some sort.

Ok, thanks everyone! It definitely had an odd smell, didn't smell like the red oak I usually try to get. I've never had ash before. Really appreciate the help everyone!!!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Ok, thanks everyone! It definitely had an odd smell, didn't smell like the red oak I usually try to get. I've never had ash before. Really appreciate the help everyone!!!
You'll like it, it dries fast and can be used as everything from kindling to quarter splits to main fuelwood pieces, good stuff!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nice! Now I need it to stop raining so I can go back and get another couple trailer loads of it! Unfortunately most of my other wood (about 2 cords) has been sitting too long and is starting to rot. Its my fault, its stacked under a pine tree and uncovered for too long. I planned ahead during a pregnancy and split too much one year... Time to get back on track though!

Can almost make out EAB holes in the last pic on the L side of the log.

Reactions: Soundchasm