Help me to decide - insert needed PNW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bshillam

Feb 24, 2021
Portland, OR
House is in Portland, Oregon. I'd like to burn wood for late fall/winter/early spring to heat the house. Not due to cost of the utilities but because we love the feel, warmth, and dry heat wood provides. House is a single story 1800 3/2 with the bedrooms furthest from the fireplace which works as we like to sleep colder. Typically during the day the house is 71 being turned down to 65 at night. 2x4 construction, great insulation in the attic, good double pane windows, no insulation in the floors.
I have been researching the Kuma and Blazeking stoves and Pacific Energy mainly but am open to other inserts if needed. I'd like something well built, solid burn through the day performance, qualify for the new rebate. I love, in concept, the idea of being able to burn long and slow. My number one concern is of course the learning curve w/ a cat stove vs non cat stoves. If I could really get the benefits of a cat stove I have read about and need to replace the cat every six years or so I wouldn't have a problem with that investment. Wood that is available widely is douglas fir. What advice, suggestions, etc do you have? Any specific models you'd recommend and why? Thanks much for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are all good stoves with strengths to each one.

@bshillam I don't know if Kuma inserts are the same setup as the freestanding stoves but I am a week into the Classic. This is my first cat stove and I find it easy to run. The manual really spells out what you need to do. My biggest adjustment has been filling up the stove when it's low. My old stove I would throw a few pieces in here and there throughout the day. With cat stoves you fill it up and once going set the air and let it go until it's down to coals. It doesn't seem to like one or two pieces in it at a time.

We've had temps in the 20/30's and it's easily heated my 1500sf ranch house from the basement. We keep the house at 65ish. If we go much warmer than that our 2 german shepherds get cranky. Oh and Kuma is made in the USA. That was a big deal for me.

Then Kuma may be the one. PE stoves and some BK stoves are made across the border in BC along with Regency. Quadrafire and Lopi are also made locally in WA state.

BK princess insert is truly set it and forget it. Ours would cruise for 18+ hours on low with fir/hemlock. Ours was from Walla Walla where as the scirocco 30 we own now is BC.

Anyone know of a non cat manufacturer that has the same control as the BK to turn the burn rate down? Or other manufacturers that have that ability?