Help me understand - wind's affect on pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brockeverly

Dec 30, 2016
Flagstaff, AZ
Hello all!

I have a CAB50 that was installed last year heating about 1700sq ft of our 2200sq ft cabin. We live in an area that gets a lot of 30+ mph wind. I always notice that when we are having these winds the pellet stove burns more pellets and struggles to keep the cabin warm so the gas furnace will take over. While I (kind of) understand how this happens, how is this rectified so the stove can do its job?

Currently have the damper under the ash pan fully open (haven't adjusted since I took delivery, and adjustment instructions are not in the manual), fuel at 50% open, burning Greentree pellets with the blower on high. I am experimenting with dropping the blower speed to medium while this is happening, but there has to be a way to combat this effectively? I bought the stove to not rely on expensive propane and to gain radiant log heat, but it seems in these conditions I might as well turn the stove off and the furnace up?

LOL.Not going to get in to the operation of the stove,that is not the problem.The key is the wind,mostly from the windows,and then from the leaks around the windows,then the leaks from the baseboard/outside,wall connections,etc.The stove is doing its job,but when the wind blows,the heat loss in your house is much higher.Is normal.Been there,done that.

Reactions: brockeverly
The only reason I would (at least partially) disagree is I see a change in the characteristics of the flame and heat output when this is happening. Almost as if the blower doesn't have the power to overcome the wind coming down the stove pipe the flame will ghost and get super lazy. Energy loss plays a part I am sure, but I believe that the stove is playing a larger part.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
The only reason I would (at least partially) disagree is I see a change in the characteristics of the flame and heat output when this is happening. Almost as if the blower doesn't have the power to overcome the wind coming down the stove pipe the flame will ghost and get super lazy. Energy loss plays a part I am sure, but I believe that the stove is playing a larger part.
Yep you are right,somewhat/whatever,Need to start new thread,post pictures of your install,inside and outside,oak install,and let people smarter than me help out.But I am trying to help.

While reading the topic and then this reply about the flame characteristics, I can say with some certainty, that it is the stove's plumbing that is the issue, not the stove.
If you could describe and if possible, get some pictures of the chimney install, it would sure help. Sometimes, even wind from the opposite side of the house that the chimney is on will cause a pressure against the output of the stove's exhaust.
The fans in a pellet stove are a simple low pressure fan style. Their ability to move air is very dependent upon the plumbing design with elbows and tee connectors etc. In fact, these fans are so passive, they do not rate them in psi, they rate them in inches of water. It takes about 27.7 inches of water to equal 1 psi. So the fans can move high air volume at low psi as long as the restrictions back pressures are minimal. So when the wind comes up and puts any small bit of back pressure to the stove's exhaust, you can see the flame get a darker yellow and the glass will likely soot up quicker.
The stove's exhaust needs to be such that winds cause the lest back pressure as possible.

That's my opinion based on some experience with my south located stove in my house and a fair amount of experience with fans and their ability to move air.

Reactions: Mt Bob and TStark
What Deezl Smoke sez.

I concur, if the wind is affecting your burn, that's an indicator your exhaust configuration is the issue

Some of these stoves operate at just 1/2" H20 negative, so imagine a 30 mph wind against a flat immovable surface, creating a local high pressure area that can overcome the exhaust fan if the exhaust is on that side, or at least reduces its effectiveness. It doesn't take much pressure difference to upset this cfm.

I suggest get your exhaust exit well above the roofline, where these wind/pressure effects on the house face will be nulled.

Installing an outside air kit if you don't have one can help also.