help!!!!! need thermocouple!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john watson

Nov 12, 2013
hart, michigan
i inherited an old 1992 englander 25-pi insert. everything works great but i geel i need a new thermocouple. blowers do not come on and stove shuts down after 20 minutes. blowers work if i bypass the coupler. i CANNOT find a thermocoupler anywhere. englander says i need to update the control board. please help.

20+ years seems like a lifetime for many electronic components....Mike (he's here and from Englander) is usually not looking to sell things when they can be repaired....but if Englander tells you that it's not available, and if no one else here chimes in soon, then that may be your only avenue of possible repair.

Manually start the fire! I tested a few ways of starting the fire, and the simplest way was to pour some alcohol on top of the pellets (in the firebox) then ignite. NOT in the hopper!
I would trust England's Stove works if they say the board must be replaced.

Bill

Reactions: Clydeburner
the 1992 model stoves used a different type of thermal sensor the new setup we use is not compatible with that old system. as for the part itself i have not had any of them in quite some time.

strikes me though that they used to come from a company called "analog devices" i will take a peek back in my old notes and see if i can still find any info on the company as well as specs on that probe. no promises as its been like 15 years since we've had that probe in stock.

if i can find the info , i'll post it. but, most likely its going to end up being a control board replacement

What is typical for a thermocouple in most pellet stoves? Type K?
Mine looks like K extension wire that has been twisted at the end.

So based on my original post, does everyone agree that it sounds like a bad thermocouple? I hear that these things rarely go bad. I just wanna make sure im not missing something simple. As I said, all the motors/blowers do work. Its just after I start a fire, the blowers do not start. After about 20-30 minutes, the stove shuts completely off. The stove is getting plenty hot enough.

yep, thats what it is , if the unit does not sense "proof of fire" from that sensor in 30 minutes from pressing on it will shut straight off. same sensor also determiones when to turn on the fans for room air

http://www.englanderstoves.com/images/pucb93pic.jpg

look at the top of this control board at the top a bit right of center there is a white square plu with 3 needle shaped pins coming out of it, this is where the heat sensor hooks up. in your unit it shold be a brown wire with a kind of a braided coating. it leads to a probe about a 1/4" diameter and about 3 inches(roughly) long that is inserted into the blower housing near the room fan in front of the board in your stove. it inserts into a brass fitting.

make sure that thing is plugged in properly to the board

Last edited:
yep, thats what it is , if the unit does not sense "proof of fire" from that sensor in 30 minutes from pressing on it will shut straight off. same sensor also determiones when to turn on the fans for room air

http://www.englanderstoves.com/images/pucb93pic.jpg

look at the top of this control board at the top a bit right of center there is a white square plu with 3 needle shaped pins coming out of it, this is where the heat sensor hooks up. in your unit it shold be a brown wire with a kind of a braided coating. it leads to a probe about a 1/4" diameter and about 3 inches(roughly) long that is inserted into the blower housing near the room fan in front of the board in your stove. it inserts into a brass fitting.

make sure that thing is plugged in properly to the board

What exactly is "properly"? I see it is a 3 pin, but I only got 2 wires from the sensor. How do I know if its not upside down, it plugs in both ways. My big question is: What is the millivolt rating on this sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.