Help..... Need to remove auger???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishmastiffs

May 13, 2014
Southern Indiana
I have USSC 5500M and auger is jammed. We have done everything to vaccum ,poke and prod and clean the auger and still not turning. I think next step is to pull the auger out and see if there is something I can't see. Does anyone know how to get this done. There appears to be a pin in the bottom of the auger but it is not budge. Any ideas are appreciated.

Once you get the motor off like in the video, I believe USSC used two hex bolts coming in from the sides to hold the bushing retainer in the base of the tube and you can pull it out after they are removed. My 5660 looks the similar and it helps if you remove the motor bracket too. It has 2 more of the same hex bolts holding it on. Easy deal.....

Have you tried taking the auger cover off and getting to the auger and cleaning it from the hopper? Item 29 from page twenty of the manual I found online.

Thanks so much Doug and Bioburner! Lifesavers and quick responses! I loved both ideas. So far went for the easiest route first. Located hopper cover and removed and low and behold it was solid pellets and dust up there. Removed it all put control panel back on and it started turning. Never so happy! I also loved the info for removal of auger in the event we need to go there. Getting soMe high heat silicone to replace the area I tore off and then I will fire it up. Just in time for thanksgiving dinner! Thanks again!

How about a couple pictures of the dogs?

I noticed nobody mentioned UNPLUGGING THE POWER CORD .............. just an observation ................

Reactions: johninwi
Okay as soon as I figure out how to post a picture I will of my dogs. I started my stove this evening and all was good for about 25 minutes... Fan was blowing etc and all of a sudden fan kicked down and I checked out the control panel. It says ER 11 so I shut it off. Checked manual and it only goes to ER 8. Can't find anywhere about a ER 11 code. Anyone have that??

Oh thank you for the reminder but I did unplug before I started.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: Mysticenchantment
Okay as soon as I figure out how to post a picture I will of my dogs. I started my stove this evening and all was good for about 25 minutes... Fan was blowing etc and all of a sudden fan kicked down and I checked out the control panel. It says ER 11 so I shut it off. Checked manual and it only goes to ER 8. Can't find anywhere about a ER 11 code. Anyone have that??
Start a new thread with the stove Model # and the new malady so it gets someones attention for USSC for faster responses. Good Luck, and keep the pups warm

I just found this on a webpage just now.... Ummmm now what to do.

If your 5500 pellet stove's digital display shows a flashing “A” and the glass door is completely shut, this indicates a vacuum issue. The code “ERR-11” signals a vacuum problem. Problems such as this, a faulty circuit board and other more complex mechanical troubles require service from authorized technicians. To request service, call USSC. To take advantage of your stove's warranty, you must keep your receipt and register the appliance at USSC's official website. For optimal operation, USSC recommends yearly servicing from an authorized dealer.

It's back to basics as the first problem can lead us to think that the stove and venting needs a good cleaning. Get a brush down the venting and make sure no possible obstruction like parts of a birds nest. Check all the doors using a dollar bill test and if marginal cold, may be worse when the stove expands when warm. Check the hose and the barb that attaches the vacuum switch for obstructions and my need to poke a wire or better yet a pipe cleaner etc to clear its path into stove. Good Luck. It was a balmy -13F here this morning without any wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.