Help on pellet stove what size to buy p43 or p68 or pe spectrum classic or summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canvasback

Nov 20, 2013
Kentucky
I know this has been covered many times for other homes. I dont know if its been covered for my type of home in my area that i can find.
Kentucky
Home built 1840
10ft ceilings Ceiling fans in two rooms to move air
little to no insulation
previous heat was a king "ashley type sheet metal stove" burned out
Living in about 700sq feet. total house is around 2300 sq ft

Dealer says a p43 will handle it what im living it, but will push it on really cold temps.
I have a stainless steel lined flue and have also thought of upgrading to a new pe stove.
either a summit or spectrum classic.

No mention of the p61. Yes you get cold. Seems I've been there in every kind of condition. A P- series would be a major upgrade over the ashely with its radiant heat. Some insulation would help for both winter and summer.

No mention of the p61. Yes you get cold. Seems I've been there in every kind of condition. A P- series would be a major upgrade over the ashely with its radiant heat. Some insulation would help for both winter and summer.
The dealer didnt have a p61 and offered me the P68 for about 300 more with 2ton of pellets for a total of 4200.00. She also sales pe stoves and i thought about going that route also.

I have no first hand experience with Pacific Energy stoves. Not much said about them on this forum. You may like the ability to idle at lower btus for those warmer days and the very easy cleaning of the Harman with its accordion style exchanger. The fans and auger motor are readily available from other than dealer. I bought 2 used PC45s last year and are easy to work on and clean. Went through 5 tons in the main house stove. $3800 is about full retail or maybe even more unless it includes tax.

I have no first hand experience with Pacific Energy stoves. Not much said about them on this forum. You may like the ability to idle at lower btus for those warmer days and the very easy cleaning of the Harman with its accordion style exchanger. The fans and auger motor are readily available from other than dealer. I bought 2 used PC45s last year and are easy to work on and clean. Went through 5 tons in the main house stove. $3800 is about full retail or maybe even more unless it includes tax.
The 4000 includes 2 ton of pellets and all i needed to install and tax. With what i have told you do you think the 43 is up to the job?

The 4000 includes 2 ton of pellets and all i needed to install and tax. With what i have told you do you think the 43 is up to the job?
If you have a fuel oil furnace and have to crank it up for a couple weeks a year the $300 difference between the 2 stoves goes up the chimney pretty quick. You have a wet cold, at least in the Ohio valley that really sucks. Or you can get the p43 and if does not go well you could try and find a nice used stove for next season to put in another part of the home.

If you have a fuel oil furnace and have to crank it up for a couple weeks a year the $300 difference between the 2 stoves goes up the chimney pretty quick. You have a wet cold, at least in the Ohio valley that really sucks. Or you can get the p43 and if does not go well you could try and find a nice used stove for next season to put in another part of the home.
thanks for the info and help

I'd go with the P68. It's not worth $300 or even more than that in difference to risk an undersized stove (and having to do another install again later to correct the mistake).

$300 is less than 10% of the purchase price, would you like to save less than 10% and later have to freeze at home because the stove was undersized? In my opinion, when you're already more than 90% of the way there in price it makes sense to choose the bigger stove.

Especially if the $300 difference is just between the P43 and P68 models, it sounds like a very good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.