Help! Pellet stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaydeeCT

Oct 30, 2020
Connecticut
Hi,

I recently got a used enviro p3 pellet stove and want to hook it up in my living room. When I purchased the condo there was an old pellet stove hooked up to a prefabricated 8 inch chimney metal pipe that goes from the basement, through the living room behind sheetrock, and through the roof. I was hoping to remove a short section of the pipe and install it in the living room where the pipe currently goes through. A local chimney professional said I would have to remove the entire current prefabricated chimney and install 20 feet of 4 inch pellet pipe. Is there no way I can do this more cost effectively and still use the current prefabricated chimney? I attached a photo of the current old pellet stove in the basement where the 8 inch pipe terminates and the living room where I want to install right above. Ideally it would look something like the last photo after finished and the sheetrock area removed/finished. Can I attach to the 8 inch pipe or run 4 inch pipe through it?
IMG_4110.jpg
IMG_4111.jpg
IMG_4237.PNG

You may be able to reuse that chimney IF you can successfully remove the ceiling support box from the basement ceiling, without damaging it, but you may have to pull ALL the chimney out, & separate the individual sections BEFORE removing the support... You will have to reinstall the ceiling support box in your living room ceiling, then rebuild the chimney. Gonna be as LOT of work & 8" Class A pipe will be heavy...