help...pellet stove installer coming tomorrow and says

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marylu

Oct 25, 2006
Southwest Wisconsin
that as we have a lined masonry chimney that we don't have to reline it with a metal liner? Is this true? Almost everything that I have read about installing pellet stoves states that if venting a pellet stove into an existing masonry chimney, one should line the masonry chimney to keep it from degrading. Is this true?

Does anyone have experiece with this?
Marylu

it has nothing to do with degrading, your masonry chimney w/ tile liner will likely outlast any stainless liner, however depending on the size of the flue it may draft better with a liner.

I haven't read or heard anything about pellet ash degrading a chimney. The least expensive way to install a pellet stove is to direct connect it with a short piece of pipe into the chimney. This works fine for many installations, but is not the best for cleaning the chimney or with tall stacks. A better way is to run the pellet vent all the way to the top. This stops ash accumulation in the chimney itself. But done properly, the direct connect should work well.

What make/model stove are you getting? Do you know what is the height and size of the chimney?

If they are installing a direct connect, then they should make a proper metal block-off plate to surround the pellet pipe in the throat of the chimney. Just stuffing the chimney throat with lots of fiberglass insulation around the pipe is not acceptible.

The Big problem would be how to do you clean the ash out with a Half reline?
and how to you keep the ash from going in your home. The room air blower for a pellet stove is INSIDE YOUR FIREPLACE BEHIND THE PANEL.
it will such any dust or ash from the fireplace and chimney into your home.
Last week I cleaned a stove that was Installed HALF A$$ and I cleaned out a 5 gal bucket of ash just behind the insert.

Excelent photos hearthtools .

The exhaust pipe and blower fan(s) were just unreal.

ok....Marylu never actually told us that they were installing an INSERT....how do you folks know they arent installing into a thimble?
If they are using a freestanding stove rather than an insert, cleanup would be with a brush and out the cleanout, just as before. As for cleaning a "half-reline", its usually only a 5' piece or so, generally readily cleanable as well, by removing it once a year.

Marylu, its generally accepted that a liner is easier to clean, as one can stick the brish in at the top and clean, but its also going to cost you a fair chunk of change to have it lined. If the installer does line it, make sure he/she uses the correct-sized liner for the job. With the lower pellet exhaust temps, you might also consider insulating the liner as well. You should be ok if you follow the stove manual for recommended installations, and also check your existing chimney to make sure its in good shape....if it isnt, it needs to be lined.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am sorry that I did not give more information in my original post.

We are installing a Harmon XXV freestanding stove with the top vent option.

One of my concerns is that it is a tall chimney. Our home is 140 years old and has 12 foot ceilings so that means the chimney is quite tall. Currently we have a 1907 Modern Glenwood Round Oak wood burning parlor stove installed at this location. My husband uses a 7" cleaning brush to clean the chimney and there is a cleanout door at the bottom of the chimney on the other side of the wall. The chimney comes down an inside wall between our sitting room and the formal living room. There is also a hole on the other side of the chimney so that a stove could be placed on that side of the chimney as well.

I will see if I can post a picture. These pictures were taken when the protective heat shield that we use around the stove was removed for the summer. But it gives you some idea of the height of the ceilings inside the house.

Attachments

• small stove.jpg
    small stove.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 437
  • small 10-23-06 004.jpg
    small 10-23-06 004.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 396
In this install you could just connect to the Clay flue as long as you get a good seal and there is no cracks in the flue tile.

This is one like your but I did run a Stainless flex up the 14x14 tile due to draft.
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/winsor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.