Help! Questions about this stove for sauna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

martel

Feb 9, 2006
Hey, folks. Haven't been in hear for years! But I'm back with a question. I'm doing a sauna build on my property, and I want to go with a wood stove (following all clearances) with a DIY rock basket on top and maybe around the sides. I'm looking to source a reasonably priced used stove for the project. Old circulators actually look like they could possibly be pretty ideal and there are a lot of Suburans on CL and Marketplace around here. The problem is, I don't know much about these kinds of stoves.

So a few questions:
I'm assuming I can take the skin off of it and use it for this application. I basically want the wood burner box inside to be able to use. Here's the idea of a DIY woodstove for a sauna (mine will be a bit less janky)
1670010060726.png

Do these circulators have air intakes on the sides/front?
Anything else you can tell me about these old dogs?
Thanks in advance. Below are some images of a random Suburban:

suburban 1.jpg
suburban 3.jpg
suburban 2.jpg
suburban 2.jpg

Last edited:
I did just see that the dial opens and closes a front damper. I would need to build my rock basket around that. I think I could still utilize the dial somehow.

Welcome back!

The problem will be clearances to combustibles and firebox size unless the sauna is going to be for a very large room. The units are not tiny.