Help, Repair Back Hearth and Front Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Russ3l

Oct 4, 2020
Kansas City, KS
My house was built in 1942 and the inner hearth was broke so I removed it. Any help on how to support and re-pour the hearth above a full ash pit. The previous support was wood slats like the ones shown on the extended hearth. I am not going to replace with wood again due to they were burnt up inside fireplace. Anyone ever done this before?

45C005DE-2119-43DC-B817-939ED203E261.JPGIMG_2010.jpeg

That's a poorly done hearth as you have discovered. The new hearth needs to have no wood below it. You can make a form with a plywood cap below and pour the hearth, then remove the plywood cap. The hearth extension needs to be connected to the original hearth. Add some rebar to strengthen.

That's a poorly done hearth as you have discovered. The new hearth needs to have no wood below it. You can make a form with a plywood cap below and pour the hearth, then remove the plywood cap. The hearth extension needs to be connected to the original hearth. Add some rebar to strengthen.

Thanks for the help. How would I remove the plywood cap after pouring? There will be no access to it if it is on the bottom. What is a plywood cap, just a piece of plywood? My original plan was to put rebar across the bottom, put a piece of concrete board on top of that and pour and never touch again. Does that sound crazy? I really appreciate your help!

What is underneath the hearth extension, crawlspace, slab?