Help something on my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I had an aluminum kettle that was used to add humidity. It had water some vanilla and cinnamon sticks.
It boiled over and got on the top of my Blaze King. I attached photos. I tried to clean it off with no luck. It is thick like a cement. Don't want to damage stove. Can anyone help me with removal.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 139
Bummer. That looks like it is going to have to be scraped and sanded off. Then gone over with finer sandpaper then steel wool. Wipe with alcohol and paint. Get the exact paint to match the stove from BK tech support.

I had an aluminum kettle that was used to add humidity. It had water some vanilla and cinnamon sticks.
It boiled over and got on the top of my Blaze King. I attached photos. I tried to clean it off with no luck. It is thick like a cement. Don't want to damage stove. Can anyone help me with removal.
Soak a rag with vinegar and lay it over the area. Let sit and repeat. Slowly it should release from the metal. Not sure what the finish will look like in the end.

Your King Ultra has tamper proof fastners holding the convection deck to the top of the stove. You more than likely will need to remove the convection deck to do a thorough job.

If you are unable to locate the correct tool at a local hardware store, contact me by pm and provide full address and we will send the correct tool.

HOWEVER, YOU MUST REAPPLY/INSTALL THE CONVECTION DECK PRIOR TO REUSE. IT IS SAFETY TESTED FOR CEILING CLEARANCES WITH THE DECK ONLY.

Sorry to see.

I learned the same lesson, but near as ugly. The stove top kettles look cute, but add very little humidity, and having water near iron/steel as asking for rust and other issues. I switched to a whole house humidifier after noticing some rust starting around the area on the stove top underneath where the kettle resided. BTW, the inside of the cast iron kettles can get really funky after a month or so of adding water. IMHO it is a perfect place to grow some nasty bacteria, warm and moist...

As above, you will no doubt have to do some major repairs while the stove is shut down to mechanically remove the stains and rust, and then properly refinish.

I personally would be very leary of adding vinegar (an acid) to the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.