Help, this thing is driving me nuts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FiremanFred

Dec 27, 2017
Summersville, WV
Hello everyone. New to the forum. My dad was given a used American Harvest 6039 under the assumption that it needed a new board. It was the old ABC button type and was replaced with the newer type, as it was described as the replacement part. I figured it must be just an improved design or something. We can't get the auger to feed fast enough to keep the fire going. It just runs about a quarter turn about every 25 or 30 seconds. We have to throw a handful or two of pellets in the pot about every ten or fifteen minutes. I've tried holding the heat range and aux buttons down to change the feed rate and it didn't change anything. It's on 6 1/2 pph and it's still running just like it was. I took the thing apart and cleaned it out inside as per a thread I read on here thinking that might be it, but it made no difference. We're both baffled. If it tells you anything, the little red light next to the "draft fan up" button flashes. I don't know what else to try. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable, so hopefully one of you might have the answer. Thanks!

Sounds like it's just idling and not ramping up to higher feed rates.. Check for jumper wired on control board. Reference owners manual for details.
Yup, sounds like the jumper is missing. Also make sure to unplug the stove and discharge any static from your body before handling that board! A ground strap to your body is the best.

Here's a pic of where the jumper should be.

USAM6041ControlPanel (3)scra.jpg

Yup, sounds like the jumper is missing. Also make sure to unplug the stove and discharge any static from your body before handling that board! A ground strap to your body is the best.

Here's a pic of where the jumper should be.

View attachment 218952
Okay, thanks a lot guys! I'd read about a jumper wire, but I wasn't sure where it would go or if it would even be causing it. I was starting to figure that had to be it, as it was about the only thing I hadn't ruled out yet. So if it's just a jumper wire, I can just take a couple of female connectors and a short piece of wire and make one myself, right? I've got plenty of both. Again, thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks a lot guys! I'd read about a jumper wire, but I wasn't sure where it would go or if it would even be causing it. I was starting to figure that had to be it, as it was about the only thing I hadn't ruled out yet. So if it's just a jumper wire, I can just take a couple of female connectors and a short piece of wire and make one myself, right? I've got plenty of both. Again, thanks a lot!
The arrow on the pic should be pointing to the dark gray/black jumper. It's the one next to the blue connector with white wire. There is only about 2/16" between the pins that need to be jumped.

You can try and jump it with very small wire, just don't let it touch anything else. I don't think you will be able to find any spade type connectors to fit it. If you (or know someone) have any old control or computer boards around you might find one to use.

You should call where you bought the board and tell them the jumper is missing and they should ship one out to you considering it should have been on the board when purchased. I know my stove was shipped without one and it drove me nuts for a couple of days before figuring it out. Contacted USSC and they shipped one overnight.

Pm me your address ill send ya a couple

Reactions: FirepotPete
Pm me your address ill send ya a couple
In the spirit of the season, the heating season specifically!!

I have some around here also, just don't know where to even start looking for them anymore. I don't think there are any Radio Shack stores left, but if a person has a tech joint that works on computers they may be able to find one locally and get the stove up and running the same day. Just a thought.

I made my own little length of wire this morning and put on it. It's working just like it's supposed to now. Nice bright flame and it's already warm in there. My dad is very happy. Again, thanks a lot. You guys are awesome!

I made my own little length of wire this morning and put on it. It's working just like it's supposed to now. Nice bright flame and it's already warm in there. My dad is very happy. Again, thanks a lot. You guys are awesome!
Now reset that HR9 or HR5 (the highest HR depending on your board) setting down to 5pph. You will never use it higher than that and those stoves are known to warp the door or the frame if ran real hot.

Then you'll need to get the DF setting so that the stove runs good on the lowest setting without going out. Then the highest setting so that it isn't just blowing hot air out of the exhaust. When adjusting anything make sure to write down the previous numbers and wait at least 1/2 hour to see how it changes the burn. You can always go back to the original settings if it was burning better if you have them written down.

Do you have an OAK? If not that will improve the heat in the house with less drafts coming in.