Help to set anticipator on mechanical thermostat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DobieMom

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Shore of MD
ARG!! I went to you tube - watched videos to learn what to do...3rd video tells me I need to know the DRAW from - I THINK he said - the control circuit (?) before I'd know where to set the anticipator...DUH! Anyone with a QuadraFire 1200 Classic Bay freestanding happen to know the draw OR where I need to set the anticipator? I know the thermostat is "off" compared to my wall thermometers I have placed around. Thanks! :)

I'm guessing you need to know if it is a millivolt or volt draw. Try this thread and see if that helps you. Sorry, I don't have your stove, so this is the best I can do.

Reactions: DobieMom
For "old-school" mechanical thermostats, the anticipator is a small variable resistor, that heats the thermostat bi-metal spring to make it turn the furnace back off, actually before the heat of the room does it. This heater resistor needs a bit of current, and that is supplied by the significant current draw of the electric gas-valve, or oil-burner control circuit. So, what you did was measure the current "draw" of this circuit, with an amp-meter, and then set the adjuster (slider arm) on the resistor to the current (mA) markings that match what you measured.

Now, for a pellet stove, with electronic controls, the thermostat terminals won't provide anything close to the current draw of an old-school furnace, which means that an old-school thermostat anticipator won't work. You need a "new-fangled" electronic thermostat, where the anticipator (typically called the "differential") is set electronically, and does not rely on the furnace control circuit current to heat up a resistor.

Last edited:
Reactions: johninwi
For "old-school" mechanical thermostats, the anticipator is a small variable resistor, that heats the thermostat bi-metal spring to make it turn the furnace back off, actually before the heat of the room does it. This heater resistor needs a bit of current, and that is supplied by the significant current draw of the electric gas-valve, or oil-burner control circuit. So, what you did was measure the current "draw" of this circuit, with an amp-meter, and then set the adjuster (slider arm) on the resistor to the current (mA) markings that match what you measured.

Now, for a pellet stove, with electronic controls, the thermostat terminals won't provide anything close to the current draw of an old-school furnace, which means that an old-school thermostat anticipator won't work. You need a "new-fangled" electronic thermostat, where the anticipator (typically called the "differential") is set electronically, and does not rely on the furnace control circuit current to heat up a resistor.

Thanks Pelleting but this is the Quadra Fire thermostat that was installed with the stove...a simple 2 wire. They adjusted it a year or so ago during year end cleaning but it's "off" again :( I was told to "just turn it"... LOL...turn it to WHAT setting? I'll have to call the guy back :/

I'm guessing you need to know if it is a millivolt or volt draw. Try this thread and see if that helps you. Sorry, I don't have your stove, so this is the best I can do.

Thanks bogieb...it helped me to know I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing LOL I know how to clean it, run it and supply the fuel, etc but that's about where it ends for me ;)

Reactions: bogieb
Thanks bogieb...it helped me to know I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing LOL I know how to clean it, run it and supply the fuel, etc but that's about where it ends for me ;)
Been there - nothing to be ashamed of. There's a big learning curve for usen's that aren't naturally mechanically/electrically inclined. I didn't grow up fixing bicycles, walkie-talkies etc like the boys did. So I read everything I could, even on stoves I didn't have just to get some of the lingo down and have a basic understanding of what people on here were talking about. Still learning too - thanks to great people on this forum.

Reactions: DobieMom
Status
Not open for further replies.