Help! trying to save a fire place stove insert from murder!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay Elliott

May 21, 2020
OR
So I just started shopping for my first house and I finally found a beautiful place that fit my needs with an even more beautiful wood stove insert. I fell head over heals in love with the thing, but I live in Oregon where there are extra regulations about the pollution levels a stove is allowed to make. If the stove is unregistered and doesn't qualify as an antique, when a house is sold the stove must be removed and proven to be destroyed before the house changes hands. I am working desperately with my realtor and loan agent to try to find info on this thing to try to keep it intact. Other wise it will get the stove version of taken out in a field and shot. It is a Country ComfortStove from the 80s. Do any of you know if there is a company that still works with these and/or might have information on if it is regulation or can be made regulation? thank you for any help you can offer

To reply to one of your posts, IMHO its highly unlikely that a stove of that vintage would meet recent specs. Its likely that you would need a certified testing lab run a test. This would involve removing it and shipping it to them along with wheelbarrow of money. It will fail and then they will need to substantially modify the entire interior of the stove. An individual who designed a new stove several years ago told me that getting it certified would cost in excess of 50K. Be very careful if someone offers to take your money as I expect few if any legit testing firms would want to take it.

The cost and final results to do this most likely is going to pay for several newer stoves that are just as or more attractive than the stove you have. Buying a house is stressful and I expect a lot of it is out of your control so you are focused on this relatively minor detail of the purchase.

Plenty of other states dont have those regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.