Help Understanding Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pgaron

Jul 19, 2019
Rehoboth Massachusetts
I would like to replace a wood stove that I have, it’s in a room that is narrow like a hallway. I am looking for a wood stove that can get as close to the back wall as possible. Local code here says we need to follow what the manufacture recommends for each stove. I am attaching a picture of what the previous home owner has. The brick wall is a chimney and runs almost the whole length. Could anyone help me understand how clearances work, are the ones given on a spec sheet for combustible material only, also is the brick considered non combustible? the end goal is to find a stove that is wider rather than deep and can be put as close as possible to brick and for me to understand how to read the spec sheets properly. I have attached a stove spec sheet I am looking at for reference

Attachments

• IMG_3323 (1).JPG
    IMG_3323 (1).JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 105
  • SSERIES-S1S4S9-TECH-SPEC (1).pdf
    616.2 KB · Views: 80
I would like to replace a wood stove that I have, it’s in a room that is narrow like a hallway. I am looking for a wood stove that can get as close to the back wall as possible. Local code here says we need to follow what the manufacture recommends for each stove. I am attaching a picture of what the previous home owner has. The brick wall is a chimney and runs almost the whole length. Could anyone help me understand how clearances work, are the ones given on a spec sheet for combustible material only, also is the brick considered non combustible? the end goal is to find a stove that is wider rather than deep and can be put as close as possible to brick and for me to understand how to read the spec sheets properly. I have attached a stove spec sheet I am looking at for reference
Yes the clearances are to combustibles. And no brick is not combustible but what is behind them may be and you still need to adhere to the clearances from them. So you need to know if there is framing behind that brick. Even if there is a chimney on the outside it is still very possibel there it framing between the 2.

Yes the clearances are to combustibles. And no brick is not combustible but what is behind them may be and you still need to adhere to the clearances from them. So you need to know if there is framing behind that brick. Even if there is a chimney on the outside it is still very possibel there it framing between the 2.

Thanks for getting back to me. the brick you see is a dual flue chimney that is in the center of the house, I dont think there could be any studs there since its all chimney. On one side of the chimney is the "back room" which has no fireplace or anything just the wood stove, on the other side is the "living room" with the fire place. I attached some more pics to make it clear. If its not considered combustible where do I find the required distance?

Attachments

• back roo.jpg
    back roo.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 100
  • living room.jpg
    living room.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 93
Thanks for getting back to me. the brick you see is a dual flue chimney that is in the center of the house, I dont think there could be any studs there since its all chimney. On one side of the chimney is the "back room" which has no fireplace or anything just the wood stove, on the other side is the "living room" with the fire place. I attached some more pics to make it clear. If its not considered combustible where do I find the required distance?
If it is all noncombustible there is no required distance at all. You can place it as close as you like. I generally like to stay about 6" from the wall to make cleaning and service easier

Is the floor tire or wood? Depending on the stove you may need a hearth underneath it if its tile over plywood, its tile over a cement pad then no worries.

Is the floor tire or wood? Depending on the stove you may need a hearth underneath it if its tile over plywood, its tile over a cement pad then no worries.
Pgaron I was wondering the same thing. What is under the stove and in the room for flooring?