help w Ceiling Support Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdodge

Nov 18, 2020
portland OR
Hi there! hoping that someone out there can help me figure out my issue.....

I am building a sauna with a wood burning stove. Last step is to install the stove and piping. I have the piping that I need, but am trying to figure out the ceiling support box. The inside ceiling is sloped/"cathedral". There is only about 6 inches in the attic space between the inside ceiling and the roof.

1) Do I need a ceiling support box? Is the primary function to protect from insulation, or to connect black stove pipe to chimney pipe? And if so...
2) Is there another way to connect chimney pipe to black stove pipe? I have chimney pipe for the Selkirk brand.
3) If I need a support box, does it also need to be the same brand as the chimney pipe, as in Selkirk in this case?

Because there is such little space from the ceiling to the roof, I am hoping to get away without using a support box. It also seems really difficult to find a short enough support box that could fit in that space without coming down into the sauna room quite far.

any help would be much appreciated!

Hi there! hoping that someone out there can help me figure out my issue.....

I am building a sauna with a wood burning stove. Last step is to install the stove and piping. I have the piping that I need, but am trying to figure out the ceiling support box. The inside ceiling is sloped/"cathedral". There is only about 6 inches in the attic space between the inside ceiling and the roof.

1) Do I need a ceiling support box? Is the primary function to protect from insulation, or to connect black stove pipe to chimney pipe? And if so...
2) Is there another way to connect chimney pipe to black stove pipe? I have chimney pipe for the Selkirk brand.
3) If I need a support box, does it also need to be the same brand as the chimney pipe, as in Selkirk in this case?

Because there is such little space from the ceiling to the roof, I am hoping to get away without using a support box. It also seems really difficult to find a short enough support box that could fit in that space without coming down into the sauna room quite far.

any help would be much appreciated!
I would use a support box for sure. And yes it needs to match the chimney brand. If it is too long you just cut it down to fit

Brings back memory of the wood stove sauna I was in at a 70's hippie party. I think it was a converted shed. It was my wife's brother around Eugene Oregon. He's still there. Great place to see. We have spent a lot of time traveling Oregon.