help! which saw to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ikessky said:
HittinSteel said:
I've had a near new 55 Rancher (was straight gassed by a friend on about tank 10), muffler modded/ gasketless on craigslist for $225 for almost a month with no calls. I get a good laugh because rough looking boat anchor 029/290's will sell for $275 fast in our area.

*sigh* :roll: I really don't get either of the phenoms that you have highlighted here. 1) Continual hating on the 290 and 2) people saint status of the 290.

After 8+ years of unfailing service I'm firmly in the "saint" camp.

Bigg_Redd said:
After 8+ years of unfailing service I'm firmly in the "saint" camp.
I like mine and will recommend one to anyone, but I'm not going to fight for its honor like its one of my family members. There's a lot of good saws out there.

The operative word in my post was "rough". The 029/290 is a good firewood saw, despite being on the heavy side for power and weight. It does an adequate job at a friendly price.

HittinSteel said:
The operative word in my post was "rough". The 029/290 is a good firewood saw, despite being on the heavy side for power and weight. It does an adequate job at a friendly price.

;-)

HittinSteel said:
Got ya! Thanks for the clarification. :)

Thanks for all the advice, but it may have been all for not! I was talking to a guy at work about his husqvarna saws and it turns out that he has lots of split and unsplit wood and will be getting more. I have a 5 ton Speeco electric splitter that is just fine for me and will be able to get unsplit rounds form him and split them when I have the time. He said he will give me a break on the price because he won't have to split them. Works for me because I enjoy using the splitter even though its not the fastest thing around. But if I ever do get a saw, all your advice tells me GO BIG!!! So thanks again, Crawfish

HittinSteel said:

Did you just say it's heavy for it's weight?

crap, better clarify again....it's an anemic choked up pig. But it does cut wood, is priced right and has that ever important for the masses "stihl" logo.

HittinSteel said:
crap, better clarify again....it's an anemic choked up pig. But it does cut wood, is priced right and has that ever important for the masses "stihl" logo.

It is what it is! ;-) They just will not give you a break on this one......I will say it yes its heavy yes it slow. Compared to a 460 it is junk....Lol but it is still what it is! Good woods saw! :cheese:

Anything that anyone says about a 290/029 is right and just depends on the wood that day! ;-)

HittinSteel said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 455 Rancher - the Husqvarna equivalent of the 290 - pretty much the same weight/power/price?

I just got an 036 yesterday. I am in the market to sell my 435 -16" bar. Only used it a couple times. Would be a drive. But It would be a good cheap saw. PM if interested. Cost $300 new. Comes w/ extra new chain and the new chain that's on it (used very little). Just throwing it out there. I know you said you didn't need one now. But had to offer. Its not a problem to keep. I love having 4 saws.

DexterDay said:
I just got an 036 yesterday. I am in the market to sell my 435 -16" bar. Only used it a couple times. Would be a drive. But It would be a good cheap saw. PM if interested. Cost $300 new. Comes w/ extra new chain and the new chain that's on it (used very little). Just throwing it out there. I know you said you didn't need one now. But had to offer. Its not a problem to keep. I love having 4 saws.

Only one thing better than 4 saws. Never needing to refuel for the day! ;-) or sharpen.......

Bigg_Redd said:
HittinSteel said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 455 Rancher the Husqvarna equivalent of the 290 pretty much the same weight/power/price?

I stand corrected. The 290 is 1cc bigger and .2 lbs heavier.

smokinjay said:
DexterDay said:

Only one thing better than 4 saws. Never needing to refuel for the day! ;-) or sharpen.......

;-) Only one thing better than having 4 saws...is having 6 or 7 :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
DexterDay said:

;-) Only one thing better than having 4 saws...is having 6 or 7 :coolgrin:

Good point load on Sunday run all week! ;-)

crawfish said:
Thanks for all the advice, but it may have been all for not! I was talking to a guy at work about his husqvarna saws and it turns out that he has lots of split and unsplit wood and will be getting more. I have a 5 ton Speeco electric splitter that is just fine for me and will be able to get unsplit rounds form him and split them when I have the time. He said he will give me a break on the price because he won't have to split them. Works for me because I enjoy using the splitter even though its not the fastest thing around. But if I ever do get a saw, all your advice tells me GO BIG!!! So thanks again, Crawfish

Perfect, now you can keep an eye out for a nice used saw and maybe save another hundred$.... 50cc would be gr8 for that sized wood. Either 16 or 18" bar would be my choice.

Bigg_Redd said:
HittinSteel said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 455 Rancher - the Husqvarna equivalent of the 290 - pretty much the same weight/power/price?

Yes, they are about the same saw. Not sure if the 455 is a clamshell design or not though. The 55 was not. The best 55 was the epa closed port transfer design at 51cc.

HittinSteel said:
Bigg_Redd said:
HittinSteel said:

Yes, they are about the same saw. Not sure if the 455 is a clamshell design or not though. The 55 was not. The best 55 was the epa closed port transfer design at 51cc.

So the 455 gets a pass while the 290 is a "choked up pig" and is "heavy for it's weight."

I'm really glad we were able to clear this up.

The 455's a pig. There, I said it. Really, those saws aren't designed for anything but reliability and price. And they succeed on both, but when looking at *better* gear, which I'm not sure anybody's against--save those whom are 'price-sensitive'--one of the areas that makes a difference is weight and balance.

S

thinkxingu said:
The 455's a pig. There, I said it. Really, those saws aren't designed for anything but reliability and price. And they succeed on both, but when looking at *better* gear, which I'm not sure anybody's against--save those whom are 'price-sensitive'--one of the areas that makes a difference is weight and balance.

S

I'd agree with that......although I've never run a 455.

Status
Not open for further replies.