Help with a brand new wood stove, sparks coming out chimney cap...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MKH96

May 25, 2018
MN
We just finished up a sauna install at the cabin, my buddy is up there now and fired it up last night to cure it. So Im doing some research on the matter and happened across this forum!

Does anyone have some insight into the issue? Most the reading I've done talks about the chimney needing cleaning, but it's brand new.

Leads me to believe it's wet wood?

I think he was burning cedar from the farm, a tree felled and he got ahold of a bunch of wood.

This is what has capping the chimney at the moment...

Supervent® 8" Deluxe Rain Cap Class A Vent

Pretty light on details.

Like, exactly what you have for a stove & chimney. Height? Etc..

Brand new stove - just sounds like pretty dry wood combined with a short chimney. I think cedar can get kind of sparky?

Reactions: mountain man 2
Sorry, I'll be up there tomorrow and can getter better specs. For now, it's a custom made sauna stove, measures about 18"x18". The pipe inside the sauna is maybe 6'? Total room height is 8'.

The chimney pipe from the roof is 3', 2.5' above the roof peak.

Screen_Shot_2018_05_25_at_10_18_48_AM.png

So an illegal home made job? Non epa?

Probably not even a firebox baffle?

I’ve burned lots of cedar and it makes lots of sparks.

The guys in the smoke dragon forum “classic” have stoves without baffles so can tell you how normal that is.

Interesting point on the baffle.

yes totally illegal as in no permits pulled. Not going to go into the ethics of it, not my cabin!

Can a baffle be added?

What is the stove make and model?

He may want to change the cap to their simpler model with a spark arrestor screen and in the dry months stop burning cedar. Cedar sparks a lot.

Interesting point on the baffle.

yes totally illegal as in no permits pulled. Not going to go into the ethics of it, not my cabin!

Can a baffle be added?

Maybe. But we have no idea what this custom made stove is like.

Lots of sparks from cedar + a short pipe

Lots of sparks from cedar + a short pipe

The pipe is not short. 6’ in the room, at least 3’ in the attic, another 3’ above the roof. 12’ is plenty “normal” and more than enough for a legal stove. This thing uses 8” pipe which may further reduce the chance of spark escape.

The real problem is a poorly designed homemade stove burning a sparky wood.

With the very low cost of good epa stoves these days it’s hard to imagine why someone would waste time building one. Unless it’s a barrel stove!

Oops. I read it as 6ft, but that's just the inside part.

Reactions: Highbeam