Help with a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

morganp107

Oct 30, 2018
Peru, NY
Hi There Folks,

I am in the market for a new stove and weighing my options. The previous dealer I have used in my area now only carries Regency products. They used to carry a wider line of brands, but now only sell Regency. I have no experience with this brand, and I am curious if others have had positive experiences, especially with the newer stoves post 2020.

Additionally, there is another dealer in the area that carries Hearthstone and Lopi products. At this point, I am trying to decide on catalytic vs. non-catalytic stoves, and I am limited to a degree by space. The stove can't be taller than 30" and needs to have a depth of less than 22" ideally to minimize modifications to the existing area (the stove sits inside a large fireplace). I am open to stoves with greater depth if needed, but the height is more difficult to change in this space.

I am open to ideas and suggestions. Thank you all for your help, this page has been a helpful resource throughout the years.

I recently bought an Osburn 2500 non-catalytic wood stove and I LOVE it. It burns very efficiently and meets the tax credit standards. I am glad I chose non-catalytic...the maintenance and expensive replacement of the catalytic feature was not ok with me. With the supply shortage of catalytic components , I could see the writing on the wall. Osburn stoves are made in Canada but there are many reps in the U.S. It is an excellent company, with many sizes and styles of non-catalytic high efficiency stoves.
Hi There Folks,

I am in the market for a new stove and weighing my options. The previous dealer I have used in my area now only carries Regency products. They used to carry a wider line of brands, but now only sell Regency. I have no experience with this brand, and I am curious if others have had positive experiences, especially with the newer stoves post 2020.

Additionally, there is another dealer in the area that carries Hearthstone and Lopi products. At this point, I am trying to decide on catalytic vs. non-catalytic stoves, and I am limited to a degree by space. The stove can't be taller than 30" and needs to have a depth of less than 22" ideally to minimize modifications to the existing area (the stove sits inside a large fireplace). I am open to stoves with greater depth if needed, but the height is more difficult to change in this space.

I am open to ideas and suggestions. Thank you all for your help, this page has been a helpful resource throughout the years.
Hi There Folks,

Regency is a good brand, in fact one of our mod's used to deal them. Paging @bholler.

Likewise with Hearthstone and Lopi, both get mostly positive reviews, varying some by model, so you'd want to get more model-specific to get the best info there.

Your height issue may trump any debate on cat vs. non-cat. Both can work, both have their pros and con's, ask away with any specific questions or concerns.

Regency still makes good stoves I would recommend either noncat or their pro line. I would avoid the cascade line

The Jotul F45 is worth checking out. It will fit and is a good performer. Looks nice too.

Reactions: Ashful
30” height will really limiting choices. I would not rule out inserts just yet. The F45 top vented in a fireplace will be a chore to clean. Read the manual. Not big deal for your sweep but for me I would likely skip my annual DIY sweeps just not to have to mess with it and go every two years.

i've been burning wood for over twenty years. I've had both catalytic and non catalytic stoves. i prefer the non cat stoves. just easier for me. i am currently running a pacific energy Summit steel stove downstairs in the basement and use it when it gets really cold mostly in late december and january. and i have a Jotul f 3 CB i burn as the main and almost only heat source in the house until it gets cold. it takes smaller wood at 18 inches....i like using 16 and its been rock solid for over 5 and close to 10 years.
if you're putting it in a fireplace opening, make sure you get a fan on it and try to direct connect all the way to the top for the best burn. it works better than a block off plate and short pipe up into the chimney......jmho.

Hi All,

Thanks for these ideas. I was able to stop by the Regency dealer this afternoon. As you can see from my profile photo, my fireplace is a bit unique and is open on two sides. The dealer suggested either an F1150 classic/cascades freestanding wood stove which barely would meet the height requirement, or going for an insert and not installing the face plate since our set up with the two open sides is unique. On the insert front he recommended the Regency Classic i2450 (non-cat) or the Regency Cascades i2500 (cat).

At the moment, I am leaning towards the insert option, as I feel it give a bigger firebox, and is likely more suited for the space. Is it advisable to install an insert without a faceplate? Not sure if a faceplate is more for looks or serves a safety purpose I am not thinking of.

On the cat vs. non cat, I am leaning towards a cat given my burn style. Getting longer burns during work days would be helpful, but I have not had a cat before, and not sure how much more finicky they may be over non-cats (my previous stove was an Enerzone (Drolet) 1.8 non-cat stove).

Thanks again for all of your inputs. It is definitely helpful as I weigh a decision that we hope to live with for many more winters to come.

I did not install the surround surround on my insert. I need to cut a piece of single wall 8” pipe to cover up the adapter and insulated liner. Some units it may look better without the surround than others.

E3F35516-D0FB-48B6-AEF6-ABED0A5A3116.jpeg

I think the 2.3 cu ft firebox of the i2450 should give you enough burn time for a working day - at least to light up again off of coals?

I did not install the surround surround on my insert. I need to cut a piece of single wall 8” pipe to cover up the adapter and insulated liner. Some units it may look better without the surround than others.

View attachment 301363
Thank you for the photo. That is helpful to see. The models I am considering look somewhat like yours. I agree, some models will look better than others. The flushmount options at the dealer I don't think would work as well in this application.

By not installing the surround you have more choice in how far forward or back the unit sits. Mine is as far back as I could go and I removed the top firebrick and reset it 1” further back. This way I get my 16” clearance out front with the existing hearth

I would go with the i2450 if selecting the Regency. It's a simple, dependable heater. Be sure to add an insulated block-off plate in the damper area so that the heat stays in the room.

Hi All,

Thanks for these ideas. I was able to stop by the Regency dealer this afternoon. As you can see from my profile photo, my fireplace is a bit unique and is open on two sides. The dealer suggested either an F1150 classic/cascades freestanding wood stove which barely would meet the height requirement, or going for an insert and not installing the face plate since our set up with the two open sides is unique. On the insert front he recommended the Regency Classic i2450 (non-cat) or the Regency Cascades i2500 (cat).

At the moment, I am leaning towards the insert option, as I feel it give a bigger firebox, and is likely more suited for the space. Is it advisable to install an insert without a faceplate? Not sure if a faceplate is more for looks or serves a safety purpose I am not thinking of.

On the cat vs. non cat, I am leaning towards a cat given my burn style. Getting longer burns during work days would be helpful, but I have not had a cat before, and not sure how much more finicky they may be over non-cats (my previous stove was an Enerzone (Drolet) 1.8 non-cat stove).

Thanks again for all of your inputs. It is definitely helpful as I weigh a decision that we hope to live with for many more winters to come.
If going with a cat insert from regency I strongly recommend the 2700 over any of the cascade line. The cascades really give you no benifit at all from the cat other than lower emissions.

You can also close off the other open end with a custom sheet metal panel

You can also close off the other open end with a custom sheet metal panel
The panel can be made of perforated metal to vent heat out of the fireplace cavity into the other room.

Reactions: Ashful and bholler