Help with Air Tubes and Baffle Plate on Old Regency Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stock

Jan 18, 2018
Dundas, Ontario
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I bought a house recently that had a supposedly functional fireplace insert. We had a WETT inspection performed to make sure it was up to code. The inspector pointed out that there was no rating plate but failed to notice that the baffle plate and air tube were missing. We found out this fall that they were missing when we had our local fireplace company by to sweep the chimney.

Parts were ordered but it took about 6 weeks to get them. When they did show up the air tube was too wide for the fireplace and the baffle plate also seemed too large. We've been looking for help from Regency and the local shop but progress is so slow because of the busy season. No one seems to be able to identify the unit and specify the correct parts.

I've attached some photos and am hoping someone could point us in the right direction and maybe help me understand how the air tube and baffle are supposed to fit inside the unit. I'm considering having a local machine shop fabricate them to cut down on that 6 week lead time.
20180115_185316.jpg 20180115_185859.jpg 20180115_185853.jpg 20180115_185251.jpg 20180115_185257.jpg 20180115_185322.jpg 20180115_185329.jpg 20180115_185336.jpg

The specific questions I have.

1. How is the air tube supposed to be connected to the small pipes on the sides of the unit? I've seen videos of people hammering them into holes on the side, but our unit doesn't look like that.
2. The baffle plate they sold us did not come with any insulation. What should we place on top of the baffle plate once installed?
3. Can anyone identify what unit this is?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to getting this unit going during this cold snap.

-Gary

Hi Everyone,

The specific questions I have.

1. How is the air tube supposed to be connected to the small pipes on the sides of the unit? I've seen videos of people hammering them into holes on the side, but our unit doesn't look like that.
2. The baffle plate they sold us did not come with any insulation. What should we place on top of the baffle plate once installed?
3. Can anyone identify what unit this is?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to getting this unit going during this cold snap.

-Gary
If that's a Regency it's a really old one. All the ones I've seen have 3 tubes and install with vice grips and a hammer. I know it says Regency on the glass but that could be a second hand door that happened to fit somewhere along the line. Do either of the ends for the burn tube have a hole in them where a screw or cotter pin would slide through a hole in the tube?

What is the baffle they sent you made of? Their current baffles are 2 ceramic panels about an inch thick that overlap in the middle. They lay on top of the burn tubes. That configuration would not work in your stove as you only have one tube. They do not have insulation laid on top of them.

There is something else funky with the rear firebrick too. The tabs will only hold the outside ones in place. The 2 inside are going to fall over the first time you use it and there shouldn't be a gap in the middle like that either. At least I've not seen that setup.

The front looks like my i2400 but the inside is a bit different. To hot to take a picture of the inside flue but I don't think I have the metal coming down before it.
edf2015bb035a97f6a061bd158dc3be8.jpg b84c336e29a7822117cbf7773e9aa054.jpg

I have the same exact fire place and i cannot for the life of my get the baffle out... I know this is a long shot, but did you ever resolve this? I realized this post is very old, but im desperate lol

It looks like the process is the reverse of the install procedure. If so, the insulation weight is moved backward, then the front is lifted above the secondary tube and moved forward enough so that the back end can drop below the rear support. At that point it should be possible to move it backward enough so that the front clears the tube.

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 5.49.40 PM.png