Help with an Old Vermont Castings Resolute Refurb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farfromislay

Apr 21, 2018
Fergus, ON
I am new to the forum.

Last year I bought an old "Resolute W". When I got it home, I soon discovered it had a cracked base plate. I had intentions of getting it repaired however; in the meantime, I have purchased another "Resolute W" which has pitting on the top surface and some casting troubles. The base and legs seem to be in decent shape though. I am wondering whether I could remove the base from the recently purchased one and put it on the one I got last year?

Whats involved?

Also, the older stove has dual glass doors which appear to have two pane of glass. One of my outer panes is cracked. Is it the same type of glass as the inner pane?

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you plan to use the double door front? If so, then either base will work. Note that the bottom on the single door stove has 2 "cut outs" to accommodate the door hinge bosses. Double door stove won't have those.

Also, be sure the flue collars have the same number of mounting bolts. The double door stove (Res. III) will have 4 in the flue collar, while some early single door Res.s only had 2, therefore the backs and collars are not interchangeable.

I believe the stoves are identical double door models - both Resolute-W's. The one I picked up recently has cast iron inserts where the glass would go. I took the bottom plate off it and I intend to use it to replace the cracked bottom of the one I picked up earlier.

These stoves both have the "shell" casting with 1979 at the back on the inside. I am guessing early Resolute's.

The double doors for the first stove have two panes of glass in each door. One of the outer panes of glass is cracked. Is it the same type of glass as the inner? I might just take in the old one and have one made up...