Help with Ash Trap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerskine

Dec 9, 2022
Halifax
I have a old Mayson fireplace I’m trying to restore and it has an ash trap door at the base of the fireplace.

I recently opened it and despite the ash trap being very full, I’m concerned about the over all safety of the fireplace.

Shining a light down the trap it looks like it’s lined with a thin wooden liner and the roof of the ash trap seems to also be wood.

I’m wondering if this was just temporary and used in the original construction of the ash trap, or if this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Photos below

image.jpg
8A88E05E-5D6D-4B71-817E-D21B443D7530.jpeg C26ABA2C-8E60-471F-842B-CBF0E9C08DC5.jpeg F0FE5798-E4AF-4612-90C7-606FF75A3DF4.jpeg

The door looks to be metal, at least I hope so. Is there at least 8" of masonry before the wood?
@bholler would know more about the requirements.

By code all of the wood underneath needs to be removed. There can be no combustible material in contact with the bottom of the hearth slab

Reactions: begreen
Hmm ok thanks the wood in the initial ash shoot looks easy to remove. However the wood under the slab a little more problematic.

Is there a best practice in discontinuing use of the ash trap?

Was thinking of putting firebrick down on the bottom of the firebox and parging over the trap. Thoughts?