Help with blocking plate installation (eastern MA)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also considering insulating the brick fireplace walls.
Yeah, good idea. I have a stove in the fireplace, recently I put a couple freestanding pieces of sheet metal between the stove and the fireplace walls (fireplace is on an outside wall) it made a noticeable difference for sure

Last part of install...I was concerned about the mantel heating up due to the wood stove. When the shop first installed the stove, I asked them about a shield and they said it was not necessary. Clearances were acceptable.

The wood mantel does get pretty toasty warm, and now with the blocking plate installed, I'm getting more heat out of the stove and into the room (Yay!).

So I picked up another piece of sheet metal and created a quick template from cardboard, then bent the metal to shape. It's pretty simple, just a single angle at the bottom with a 1" lip that slips up under the trim and holds the shield in place. I was thinking about different ways of attaching the shield to the mantel, but found that this worked fine.

I also folded the edges over so that no sharp edges protrude and it looks more finished. A couple of coats of high temp paint finished off the job.

You don't see the shield unless you look for it. I could have painted it white and it would completely disappear.

The mantel above the stove now does not get as warm. Pleased with my handiwork. :)

Even better, the wife likes it too!

IMG_4397.JPG IMG_4398.JPG IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG IMG_4397.JPG

Finished up the installation yesterday. Cut two holes in the cosmetic surround, sanded and refinished it, then installed two grates for air flow. Looks pretty good. Great heat transfer! I'm really pleased with how it came out!

View attachment 143122

That looks really nice lml999! I might just do the same thing. How did you cut the holes for the grates?

Finished up the installation yesterday. Cut two holes in the cosmetic surround, sanded and refinished it, then installed two grates for air flow. Looks pretty good. Great heat transfer! I'm really pleased with how it came out!

View attachment 143122

That looks really nice lml999! I might just do the same thing. How did you cut the holes for the grates?
I used some thick rope gasket around the pipe on my block off plate and it does the trick.

How did you secure the gasket rope? Just stuff it up from the bottom or hi-temp silicone?

Thanks.

What did you use for the blocking plate. Is it some sheet metal from HD or L..s? Can you give me specifics, please . I'm one step of doing the plate myself.
Thanks

I used sheet metal from tractor supply. The stuff I used was probably twice as thick as needed. I think Home Depot has sheets too. Just make sure it's steel and it should be fine

Nice Job all around!

Status
Not open for further replies.