Help with chimney smoke problem on outdoor fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jclantonpboss

Jun 9, 2022
Haywood County, NC
I have a house in the mountains in Western NC at 3500 feet on a mountain that goes up to 5360. Had a local stone mason rock a prebuilt fireplace shell. Little did I know that I put the fireplace in the wrong location. In the evenings the prevailing winds come down the mountain. They're not strong, just a gentle wind.

The fireplace draws well. We never get smoke coming out of the front of the fireplace. Often, there's just enough breeze that the smoke just blows down enough to blow onto everyone sitting in front of the fireplace.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would've placed it on the downwind side of the deck. I've thought about having another 4 feet of rock added to the fireplace raising the height of the chimney but don't want to spend the money if we're still going to be smoked out.

I've included images to show you the fireplace, the prevailing wind direction. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

James

1654813854956.png
20180709_153628.jpg

1654813002903.png
1654813788440.png

That's a bummer, it's a good-looking fireplace. Murphy's law strikes again. Additional height may help but descending cooler air off the mountain tends to push the smoke downward. I would make a test extension before committing. Check with local sheet metal shops to see if they have a 4' scrap plenum, close to the flue size, that they have torn out of a house and stick that on for a few fires.

That's a bummer, it's a good-looking fireplace. Murphy's law strikes again. Additional height may help but descending cooler air off the mountain tends to push the smoke downward. I would make a test extension before committing. Check with local sheet metal shops to see if they have a 4' scrap plenum, close to the flue size, that they have torn out of a house and stick that on for a few fires.
That's a great and embarassingly obvious idea. I'll give that a try.

I’m thinking ideas to reduce smoke. First is dry dry wood. Staking wood in a way that promotes airflow
Increases temps and reduced smoke.

I have a solo stove. It’s quite good at reducing smoke. It has a a ring of holes at the top that super heated air flows out of. You get secondary combustion of the unburnt smoke when it hits the super heated air. It’s Really quite mesmerizing. A stainless secondary combustion system could be fabricated but it going to be expensive and probably not work the first time.

I am wondering if some sun shades might be used to direct/redirect air swirling down off the roof in the immediate vicinity of the patio. I just bought a 10x20 for 40$.

Just some ideas.