Help with chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wondering if these holes have a use?? There are two in my chimney. One on main floor and one on top floor of two story house. My Woodstove is in the basment. Are these just for adding other appliances? https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZVWz9vUJKr7XPkAt9
I have never seen covers like those they are pretty cool. But any above your stove they need to come out and the holes need sealed. Have you had the whole system inspected by a chimney pro?

Those look like they were cleanouts for the original masonry before someone put stovepipe in there. If that's the same flue, the original plan probably had multiple appliances sharing a flue, which is not allowed today (and was a bad idea back then also).

Reactions: holwellphil
I had a capped off masonry chimney port in my 1920s rental house that wasn't being used for anything. It was in the kitchen and I preume it was used to vent a coal fired stove when the house was new.

I opened it up and have been using it to vent a gas furnace and gas water heater.

I really ought to run a chimney liner down the flue to connect those two appliances...

I had a capped off masonry chimney port in my 1920s rental house that wasn't being used for anything. It was in the kitchen and I preume it was used to vent a coal fired stove when the house was new.

I opened it up and have been using it to vent a gas furnace and gas water heater.

I really ought to run a chimney liner down the flue to connect those two appliances...

Check with your local fire department. You might not be allowed to vent them out of the same flue at all. More places allow 2 gas appliances to share a flue than allow 2 wood burners to share a flue.

Yes you really should. And you as a pro really should know better.