Help with clearances for a Jøtul f500 please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think your overly focused on the rear shield. Your stove matches the black shield fairly well. Mine is black on green stove and we never see it. Maybe it's my corner install. Before doing something major, I would give it some time.

I think your overly focused on the rear shield. Your stove matches the black shield fairly well. Mine is black on green stove and we never see it. Maybe it's my corner install. Before doing something major, I would give it some time.
We’ve had it a few weeks now and it just looks terrible.
The issue is the layout of our house means we are sat alongside the fire a lot and the shield is very visible from two rooms.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it was nicely bolted on so it sits flush. But it’s just a piece of bent tin and has uneven gaps and doesn’t nicely follow the lines of the stove.

The renovations to do this install have cost us close to $10k altogether. So we want it to look great as well as function well heating the house.

We’ve had it a few weeks now and it just looks terrible.
The issue is the layout of our house means we are sat alongside the fire a lot and the shield is very visible from two rooms.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it was nicely bolted on so it sits flush. But it’s just a piece of bent tin and has uneven gaps and doesn’t nicely follow the lines of the stove.

The renovations to do this install have cost us close to $10k altogether. So we want it to look great as well as function well heating the house.

I have a Jotul 500 rear vented into an appropriate stainless steel lined chimney and it is installed at well more then the bare minimum clearances.

Even with these exceeded clearances, I was surprised at how much heat a radiant stove would emit. I was used to the pre EPA Wonderwood heater which is legally designated as a heat circulator.

Given the ability of insurance companies to do investigation and due diligence, these posts will almost certainly be interpreted as you trying to cut corners to the bare minimum for the sake of looks. You are asking for a house fire and no reimbursement.

So, I would either A/ stop your plans to change to even more dangerous clearances, B/ contact Jotul to pruchase a more attractive rear heat shield or C/ downsize to a smaller stove which fits the area. You are literally playing with fire here.

I have a Jotul 500 rear vented into an appropriate stainless steel lined chimney and it is installed at well more then the bare minimum clearances.

Even with these exceeded clearances, I was surprised at how much heat a radiant stove would emit. I was used to the pre EPA Wonderwood heater which is legally designated as a heat circulator.

Given the ability of insurance companies to do investigation and due diligence, these posts will almost certainly be interpreted as you trying to cut corners to the bare minimum for the sake of looks. You are asking for a house fire and no reimbursement.

So, I would either A/ stop your plans to change to even more dangerous clearances, B/ contact Jotul to pruchase a more attractive rear heat shield or C/ downsize to a smaller stove which fits the area. You are literally playing with fire here.
Seriously?
I’m currently close to double the required clearances. I’m not looking to cut corners or push the limits. Quite the opposite, I’m seeking advice to see what needs to be done to stay well within required clearances.

I fail to see how following the manufacturers and government guidelines is asking for a fire. I am simply seeking clarification that I am following the correct ones.

My opening post explained we have plenty of hearth space to use, as it is considerably bigger than the required minimums.

So please take your “opinion” elsewhere as it couldn’t be further from the truth.

Unless of course you’re suggesting you know so much better than jotul’s engineers and everyone who follows their guidelines are stupid to do so?
I guess by your infinite wisdom we should all have 15 feet in every direction from the stove?

Would you be so equally critical if I had simply installed it without a heat shield to the required clearances from the beginning? I fail to see the issue with changing the set up as long as it still falls into correct clearance tolerances.

Last edited:
Oh and to put your mind at rest. I’ve carefully checked the surrounding wall and floor temperatures with a infrared meter and the hottest part barely goes over about 40c no matter how strongly the stove is heating. So not even close to registering as a concern.