Help with Control Board for Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

delarooster

Nov 12, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
First post all, thanks for your patience and welcome (having a bit of a rough morning, found out my main furnace isn't working this morning, either!)

This morning my replacement exhaust blower mower arrived for my 16 yr old former exhaust blower (original OEM, not too bad of a life!) that was making a lot of noise. No problem, I've taken these off and put them back on, cleaning out inside, replacing gasket; not a big deal.

After exhaust blower install I went to turn my breaker back on but alas - after hearing the initial common startup with the fan I hear POP - and realize I had forgotten to plug the new exhaust blower back in. Turned off breaker again. Not typically a problem, went and plugged it back in, checked around, no obvious problems.
However upon turning the breaker on now I saw the blue light from the control board turn on and then FIRE from inside the control board housing - no bueno. Breaker back off. Not surprisingly a couple of transistors bit the dust, I'm going to order a new control board. (pictures below)

My questions to everyone here:
1) does my first neglectful action (forgetting to plug back in the exhaust blower) sound like something that could cause this specific reaction of the control board popping? (assuming a capacitor? the onboard fuse looks intact)
2) After getting the new exhaust blower ($100) and then ordering a new control board ($200) I'm wondering if there's something else I should be checking (snap discs? other fuses? something else?) prior to simply installing a new control board and flipping the switch.

Appreciate all your insight, and many thanks for those that took the time to read the above.

Very best,
delarooster

PXL_20221112_170934014.jpg
PXL_20221112_170938846.jpg

Also of note, I just checked again and neither the fuse on the board or the 7A fuse on the insert tripped before this whole cascade started. Is that normal?

Last edited: