Help with EPA Summers Heat Wood STove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Ok all. So the wood stove game is new to us. We had a factory built fireplace for the past few years and decided I wanted to get more bang for my resources. So we installed a Summers Heat wood stove. I have done the initial break in fires and have used it a few times. We are still learning on how to control this unit, so my question to you is how do I control the air? Last night it was around 40* outside, we lit a fire and got it to the "burn zone" . Once there was just some red coals and temps coming down, I put another log in and had the "air" control pulled to the "shut" position. But the thing kept blazing away, I didn't think it would have burned so quick. Also, the temp got pretty high and close to 600* (according to magnetic thermometer on top right side of stove). Advice please. Thanks.

600 is well within the safe and efficient temperature range for a modern wood stove.

SBI, they make Century, Drolet, Osburn wood stoves, customer service told me temporary stove top temps of 700-750 degrees are nothing to be concerned with. Continualy running at 700-750 is not where you want to be though.

Thanks. Was just kind of worries. I have a Rutland stove thermometer on the right upper side of stove. I know the manual states 600* is operating at the maximum temp.

Is there a way to shut down the air like the older stoves? Even with the "air" system shut off, it looked like it was still raging in there.

Summers heat is an Englander stove - Non of the stoves on the market can be completely shut down. In the case of englander units both the air wash for the viewing window and the secodary air intakes are uncontroled, only the primary air air is controllable too apx 95% closed. Reloading on a large bed of active coals requires reduction of the main air pretty quickly. some slight variances between models of course- you did not state which one. Type of fuel has a play in this as well as some type of wood off gases much faster than others ( density of material is a factor) also the size of the splits).

Reactions: Dix
Just started a fire with 3 18” splits of ash. Seasoned for 2 yrs plus. I had the air control open for less than 30 minutes to get the burn started and then pulled it shut. The thing is raging. Is this normal?

Attachments

• FCD93B5E-B7E7-46E2-A1F8-D1ECFF06B05F.jpeg
    FCD93B5E-B7E7-46E2-A1F8-D1ECFF06B05F.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 142
Doesn't appear to be raging to bad, but a still picture is not a real indication. 30 minutes before shutting down the air sounds excessive. I would expect about half that with dry wood and kindling. The air can be closed down in increments to maintain better control.

Do you have a flue thermometer? If not, get one. That will help guide you on when to shut down the air. If the stovepipe is single-wall you can put the current thermometer on the stove pipe about 18-24" above the stove top. Tell us what it reads.

Now it’s about 650*... the first fires I had weren’t like this!
No flu thermometer. Have double wall to the chimney

Attachments

• 87523BB8-4A02-475E-87A3-F932908D75AD.jpeg
    87523BB8-4A02-475E-87A3-F932908D75AD.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 130
What you are seeing is robust secondary combustion. Loose piling the wood that way increases air space between the wood pieces and a few of the pieces are not very thick. All of this combines to help accelerate the burn. As long as the stovetop doesn't go over about 750º and there are no red glowing parts, it is likely ok.

Order a probe thermometer. It will really help as a guide to when to turn the air down.

Is there a blower on the stove? If you turn it on that will cool down the stovetop by about 100 degrees.

Thank you. Yes there is a blower. Turned it on and it quickly went down a bit! I will get a probe thermometer ASAP. This thing is touchy I guess huh. Not used to this one as I am the old stoves. Thanks

On my englander (same brand) you push in the air control to close it. You said you were pulling it out to close it. Verify that your stove intake closes by pulling the control out!

Different type of air control. It's the opposite of the 30-NC.
This stove has a single air control rod which regulates the wood burn rate; when the primary air control slide is pulled all the way out of the unit, the stove will burn more slowly and put out heat over a longer time period. Conversely, when the air control slide is pushed all the way in, the unit will burn more quickly and put out a larger amount of heat over a relatively shorter time period. Do not attempt to modify the range of air control adjustment for any reason.

Reactions: Highbeam
Correct pulling out closes the air control, according to manual. It seems as if the logs don’t last very long, but these are pretty small splits of ash. But it keeps the heat longer. Just makes me nervous at the moment! Lol

Reactions: Highbeam
Your response is normal. Try loading the stove N/S, with the wood stacked parallel to the sides of the stove and not much of an air gap between the pieces. Start turning down the air as soon as the wood starts burning well. Turn it down until the flames start getting lazier, maybe 50%. (probe flue temp around 400º) Then wait about 5 minutes for the flames to regain strength. The flue temp will rise again. Now, turn down the air again until the flames slow down once more. Try to keep the probe flue temp under 5-600º. Once the flames recover strength, close down the air all the way if possible or until the flames slow down again. The stove temp will rise as secondary combustion gets strong, but the goal is to keep the flue temp under 600ºF. Ideally, when things settle down and the stove is cruising, the stovetop will be around 650º with the flue temps around 550º.

Reactions: K-Mac
I've seen this in the 13, many times.

First time scared the SH&T out of us !!!

Now we roll with the flow ;)

what begreen said. (and we have the same stove). love when this stove starts kicking out intense secondaries. i find the air control works very well on this stove. if you really have the stove roaring it may take a few minutes for the flames to go down but they always do for me. had the stove up to 650 tonight with the air control mostly pulled out... burning all day for the first time was easily getting the stove up to 600 with each new load. as soon as i closed the final bit of air the temps hovered for awhile then started to slowly come back down. trust the stove-and pull out the air control in a couple of increments like begreen said. most days ive only loaded up once to take the chill off. today started fire at 8am. reloaded about 1pm and 6:30pm with a couple average size splits of walnut. blower works pretty well to get the heat moving around the house...so use it! i just run mine on low.