Help with factory built

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Hello all,
I am torn between trying to tear out my factory built fireplace and maybe putting in a wood stove or keeping it all and getting an outdoor boiler.

My wife likes the look for the "fireplace mantle". I want function ability vs. looks aesthetics. My factory built is a majestic built into the corner of the wall sitting at an angle. If I was to do an EPA wood stove, how can I do it and maintain a mantle? My home is about 1900 sqft. What are your thoughts ideas? Thanks.

I would search here and on the web for pictures of stove installations. We have found our stove to be a much better fireplace with the addition of heating the house. I don't know if the 3 inch bluestone top of the river rock surround is a mantel, but my wife changes whats on it every season.

If it requires a tear out, consider all options, including relocating the stove out of the corner and reconfiguring the room or locating the stove in a more central location.