Help with fireplace fans?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitt1999

Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2009
Western Pennsylvania
I have a stone fireplace with two louvers in the hearth and two up high. The two lower louvers have 6" fans that circulate heat through the two upper registers. I would like to replace the fans due to loud noise and lack of efficiency, but I can't find fans anywhere on the web. the lower louver would accept an 8" fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. These appear to possibly be fans that weren't neccesarily designed for fireplaces.

Yeah, Im sure they need a good cleaning. They are very dusty. I just figured I'd replace them with some more efficient fans since they are approxiamtley 35-40 years old. But I couldn't find them anywhere. Thanks.

Do they even do anything productive? Most if these things I've seen over the years have been nothing more than of a waste of electricity...

Yeah, I really don't feel much heat coming out of the top returns. I thought that maybe new faster fans may push out more heat. Your right though it may be a waste of time and money. not being able to find the fans may make my decision for me.

My fireplace has the same thing. I tried s fan at each of the bottom 2 vents - did very little. Installing a wood insert this winter.

rabbitt said:
Yeah, I really don't feel much heat coming out of the top returns. I thought that maybe new faster fans may push out more heat. Your right though it may be a waste of time and money. not being able to find the fans may make my decision for me.

If that is the case, I'd try removing the fans and anything else that would obstruct airflow and see if natural convection will kick in some and get a flow of heat going through there. If the back of the air passages actually get warmed up much you should get some heating and natural draft flowing through I would think, but I wouldn't expect it to be very strong so it may not take much (dead fans etc) to obstruct the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.