help with getting heat to my back bedroom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guys the last couple of nigthts, I have been using my stove all day and night trying to get use to burning it and seeing how well i can get the heat to move around my house, I place a box fan in my kitchen blowing the cold air toward the stove and it really makes a big diffrence in the rest of the house .I don't have a open floor plan my house was built in the 50's and I build two rooms on the house, These room were build at the back of the house a den room 20X20 which is were my stove is located and a 20x20 bedroom on top of the den room , my question is my back bedroom is staying pretty cool at about 70 degrees and the rest of the house at 77 to 79degrees the only thing seprating my den room from my back bedroom is a interior wall, I build on the back side of my old bedroom. could i cut a hole in wall from the den to the old bedroom and transfer some heat to that room. I figured cutting the hole out high as i could because heat rises, but my question is how big would you cut this hole, I would buy decorative or heating vents to cover the holes in both rooms. Do you all think a small fan place in this hole would transfer the heat better. I need some advice this were my three kids are sleeping at and one them is just one year old. what are some good options?

i don't know about what building code says about this, but if the room is at 70 now it can only go up with the vent installed.

I'am going to purchase me two return metal vents from a ac guy i know and cut the hole from the den room to the bedroom , it will have to make a diffrence, thought about installing a small fan to promote better heat transfer. I'am going to install them as high as i can hopefully this will help.

I used a room to room wall fan that works great.That one 8 inch fan heats 3
back bedrooms.

might be obvious, but you can run the centeral HVAC on blower. My thermostat also has a "circulate" option that just turns the blower on and off every 10 or 15 min or so. It helps disperse the heat the the house.

Take a shower after work, use deoderant...Take the wife out to dinner, order her a couple glasses of wine. That should help with the heat... :)

Why are you worried about a room that is 70 degrees? It seems like that's a temp most oil burners strive for.

Matt

Use a small space heater in the room to keep the little ones comfy. With a woodstove that back bedroom is going to be the last room to heat up and the first to cool down.

kids three and under don't understand the concept of keeping the blanket on. buy a oil filled electric radiator. put it in the far corner of the room with a piece of furniture in front of it diagonal set the heater on low which is 600 watts. it doesn't get to hot. you can touch it. and that will supplement the heat front the stove. and at six hundred watts doesn't raise the electric bill to much. if it get that cold close the door and that will heat the room on it's own. in the winter my basement runs high 40es low 50es and at 600 watts it will cook me out if i don't set the thermostat on it.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
Hey guys the last couple of nigthts, I have been using my stove all day and night trying to get use to burning it and seeing how well i can get the heat to move around my house, I place a box fan in my kitchen blowing the cold air toward the stove and it really makes a big diffrence in the rest of the house .I don't have a open floor plan my house was built in the 50's and I build two rooms on the house, These room were build at the back of the house a den room 20X20 which is were my stove is located and a 20x20 bedroom on top of the den room , my question is my back bedroom is staying pretty cool at about 70 degrees and the rest of the house at 77 to 79degrees the only thing seprating my den room from my back bedroom is a interior wall, I build on the back side of my old bedroom. could i cut a hole in wall from the den to the old bedroom and transfer some heat to that room. I figured cutting the hole out high as i could because heat rises, but my question is how big would you cut this hole, I would buy decorative or heating vents to cover the holes in both rooms. Do you all think a small fan place in this hole would transfer the heat better. I need some advice this were my three kids are sleeping at and one them is just one year old. what are some good options?

Well as others have said . . . 70 degrees is pretty good considering woodstoves really are space heaters and generally do not heat up a house in the same way that central heating would do.

That said, you have a question and a reason for asking and so I can only give you my best, educated guess . . . I'm guessing that cutting a hole in the top of the wall between the bedroom and den (where the stove is located) would result in some heat transfer . . . adding a fan might also help . . . as for the size of the opening . . . I wouldn't have a clue . . . honestly I think the real key will be adding the fan more than the size of the hole since I can notice a big difference in temp in my living room (where my stove is located) and the adjacent dining room and den when my fan isn't running . . . even though both lead to the living room and have full size door openings . . . it's as if the heat is somehow blocked from moving into this areas (at least very easily) until the fan starts moving things around . . . I would suspect that you would find the same thing occuring in your set up.

I have my wood stove in the living room which is at the end of the house. There is no where else to put it where it would be more centrally located. I put a 12" x 12" vent in the celing above the wood stove. I bought a thermostat from Northern Tool that I mounted on the wall behind the wood stove. I used 10" duct work to go from the vent above the stove that goes through the attic and splits off into 2- 6" ducts that goes to 2 bedroom vents. I have a 10"duct fan and 2-6" duct fans in the ductwork. I reversed the wires on the thermostat so when the temp behind the woodstove gets to a certain temp ( hot ), the fans kick on. Then when the woodstove cools down, the fans kick off so its not blowing cool air into the bedrooms. .
This works like a charm distributing the heat through the rest of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.