Help with hearth and surround modifications for wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mister Wing

Feb 6, 2019
Pasadena, MD USA
D06F9268-5DB0-4E7F-A9B0-0099F639E6EF.jpeg We recently moved into an older (1960s) 2,500 sq ft home with a wood fireplace and oil heat. We’re looking to put a wood stove insert in the fireplace to improve our current heating situation.

I’ve been reading lots on this forum and am considering the Enviro Boston or Venice 1700 models as they seem to be decent and there’s a dealer nearby. Our challenge is the “combustible” minimum clearances.

Our surround is wood and brick (see photo) and I have taped off the area that needs to be made to be non-combustible. So I have to address the hearth and the surround.

Surround:
I doubt that the current brick goes much beyond the edge of the wood, so should I remove the wood, add backer board and tile over the existing brick? Is that acceptable and does it hold up?

Hearth:
Can I just take up the slate and level some new backer board up to it and tile the whole area or is more work required?

Any other tips, ideas or thoughts are welcome!

Last edited:
View attachment 240375 We recently moved into an older (1960s) 2,500 sq ft home with a wood fireplace and oil heat. We’re looking to put a wood stove insert in the fireplace to improve our current heating situation.

I’ve been reading lots on this forum and am considering the Enviro Boston or Venice 1700 models as they seem to be decent and there’s a dealer nearby. Our challenge is the “combustible” minimum clearances.

Our surround is wood and brick (see photo) and I have taped off the area that needs to be made to be non-combustible. So I have to address the hearth and the surround.

Surround:
I doubt that the current brick goes much beyond the edge of the wood, so should I remove the wood, add backer board and tile over the existing brick? Is that acceptable and does it hold up?

Hearth:
Can I just take up the slate and level some new backer board up to it and tile the whole area or is more work required?

Any other tips, ideas or thoughts are welcome!

Pick a stove and check the clearances. If you ditch all that moulding you will probably be good for most inserts' clearances.

As far as the hearth goes, again check your stove's clearances. If only ember protection is required, you can indeed do cement board and tile. Make yourself a bigger hearth than the minimum requirement so you have a comfortable work area, and so it's okay if a coal (or even a burning log) rolls out.