Help with heat distribution floor plan included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I was looking to improve the heat distribution over the summer. I didnt think putting in a vent from one floor to the next was possible or even legal but Ive seen talk of safety vents that will close in case of fire. I was wondering if I could install one of those vents in the ceiling to floor above my stove in the family room and get more heat upstairs and maybe another vent in another spot to get the air flowing. Im not sure if the open stairway would serve this purpose or not. Looking for some feedback from all you knowledgable burners on my summer project. Right now if will be 80 in the family room and 60's upstairs, low 60's when its frigid, was hoping to even this out a little better.

The arrow points to Im thinking where the vent would be placed.

floorplan.jpg

Nice setup. I would consider putting return vents in the bedrooms, maybe 6 x 12, fire dampered vents on the outside walls. The idea being to have the hot air convect up the staircase and return back to the stove via the return vents.

Do you mean the two bedrooms on the left BG? And if I did that would that suck the warm air up the stairs more efficiently?

yes and the bedroom on the right also. This is assuming that the bedroom doors are normally open and that the stairwell is also open. Or just put the Princess in the upstairs fireplace where you will appreciate the heat the most.

Thanks BG, yes, the doors are always open and the stairway is an open stairway. The fireplace upstairs is a see through fireplace but the opening is very small, the Princess wouldnt fit and not many stoves would fit that would meet the requirements to heat the house. Also there is no electrical source near the center fireplace upstairs, that probably could be corrected but would still have the problem of the opening being so small. The Morso would fit but one of the deals I made with my wife to get a woodstove is that it would have to be located downstairs. Thats where I spend all my time as I work from home. Just having one stove upstairs wouldnt do me much good working from home in my office as it would be freezing downstairs.

I agree with BG the fire dampered returns. Any vents would act as returns. Heat, like electricity, takes the path of least ressistance. The heat will travel up the stairs and the vents would act as returns, allowing the cooler air to replace the air downstairs, but this will help pull the warmer air into the bedrooms.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.