Help with keeping glass clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krav51

Sep 28, 2015
glenmoore pa
Im loving everything about my new Lopi Freedom with one exception.When ever i load up the stove for a long burn and back off the air supply(after getting the temp to about 550) the glass gets completely covered in soot,to the point where you can just about see thru it.Upon reloading and getting it back up to 550 most of it is burned off.Any suggestions on how to avoid this? The wood is about 15-18 percent moisture content.Thanks guys

Maybe the woods not burning strongly enough when you close the bypass? Leave it open a little longer then reduce air in increments of say 1/3. Every stove has a learning curve. I replaced door bushings on mine this year and it's like a different stove all together.

Reactions: krav51
Im loving everything about my new Lopi Freedom with one exception.When ever i load up the stove for a long burn and back off the air supply(after getting the temp to about 550) the glass gets completely covered in soot,to the point where you can just about see thru it.Upon reloading and getting it back up to 550 most of it is burned off.Any suggestions on how to avoid this? The wood is about 15-18 percent moisture content.Thanks guys
This is a normal issue when burning in the "shoulder season" or when burning wood that is not totally dry. When taking a moisture reading are you splitting a piece and taking the moisture reading from the inside of the wood? Your glass will stay much cleaner when you are burning 24/7. Make sure that you clean your glass occasionally during this time of year. The deposits on the glass can etch it over time if it is not kept clean. FYI, I normally clean mine once every couple of weeks until I'm burning 24/7.

This is a normal issue when burning in the "shoulder season" or when burning wood that is not totally dry. When taking a moisture reading are you splitting a piece and taking the moisture reading from the inside of the wood? Your glass will stay much cleaner when you are burning 24/7. Make sure that you clean your glass occasionally during this time of year. The deposits on the glass can etch it over time if it is not kept clean. FYI, I normally clean mine once every couple of weeks until I'm burning 24/7.

thanks for the tip,ill try checking the wood like that tonight.

I've heard that it helps if you run at 500+ for 30 minutes before closing the bypass. I agree with zig. Try waiting a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.