Help with liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I have a standard 8x8 lined chimney with a 6" wall thimble mortared in. I want to line with a ss liner, but a 6" "T" isnt going to pass through my thimble correct? So should I use 5" or a 5.5" instead? That way it will be smaller in dia to pass through the thimble. The thimble has been built around so it needs to stay where it is if possible. My englander stove has a 6" outlet.........

I would use the 5.5" if it would fit. I don't think it would adversely affect your stoves performance.

Les

I burn a 30-NC into a 5.5" 25' liner and draft is great. Take a tape measure and measure the actual hole in the top of the stove inside the flue collar.

5.5" exactly.

Just be sure that you get a 5.5" to 6" stove top adapter with the liner so it fits the flue collar.

Edit: Whoops, reading while eating. Get the 5.5" to 6" adapter to adapt to the thimble on the inside of the wall so that you can use regular 6" stove pipe for a connector.

So the 5.5 should fit through the 6" thimble

Yep. Reaching in to attach the snout isn't going to be a lot of fun though. And make sure that it comes with a 5.5 tee with 5.5 snout. Most of the time they send a six inch snout with the tee.

excellent, thats what needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.