Help with new Atlanta Birmingham Cook Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brandywinefarm

Jul 25, 2022
Gainesboro, TN
Hello. I'm new.
I have always wanted a wood cook stove because we live pretty simply. We grow most of our own food, can, etc.
I never got a stove because all the ones I saw were so expensive we couldn't afford it for an experiment in cooking.

This week I went to a home to pick up an OLD style Lodge #10 dutch oven (i love cooking on cast iron) that someone advertised on FB Marketplace. In the picture, under the pot, I saw the top of a wood stove. When I got there, I found the couple cleaning up their parent's house. Mom had just died and she had a pot belly stove (just sold), an OLD gas stove in mint condition, OLD! and a flat top wood stove. They offered it for $200 because they needed to move everything out of the house.

Pease help me understand what I have. Is there supposed to be a top part like many stoves I have seen? And most importantly, are there any resources to tell me how to get started, like from the beginning...how to make a fire in it? It is supposed to have a 7" pipe but the opening is oblong. Is there an adapter?
Help is incredibly appreciated. I am so excited.
P.S. there is the dutch oven I spent hours scrubbing rust off and retreating it. :)
20220724_180027.jpg
20220725_173201.jpg

You got a deal on it, although it looks like someone went at it with stove black so its going to smoke when its first lit.

I expect someone will have link to the correct manual but my guess is this one for a similar stove made by a completely different company may be close. https://www.jotul.com/sites/usa/files/2019-11/Jotul_404_0.pdf. to get you started on the basics. Note that the clearances on the steel tag take precedence over anything in the Jotul manual.

First you need to find out if your insurance will cover a non-UL approved stove. Your statewide building code requires all appliances installed to be UL Listed with attached UL Label. This a pre-UL range. That is the price difference looking at newer appliances that the cost includes testing and less clearance required to combustibles.

Reducing clearance can be done using NFPA 211 unlisted stove reduction methods only.

The oval outlet can be connected by ovalizing round pipe. Keep the seam to the rear. Reducing from 7 to 6 is common, it was legal to reduce by NFPA 211 Standard, but the ICC Codes adopted by most states no longer allow any reduction of pipe or flue diameter. Ace Hardware is a good source for adapters if you want prefab oval to round adapters. All pipe must be male end down, 3 screws at each joint. For coal, collar on stove went inside pipe. For wood, you should make sure to crimp down male end to fit inside outlet collar.
Ace is also good for UL approved stove boards for floor protection. This requires a lot.

Basics; Oil top with Grapeseed oil and season like cast iron pans. Use a magnetic pipe thermometer on pipe as well as stove top over firebox to prevent burning the coating the polymerized oil creates, or you will be re-oiling stove top quickly. 500* burns it off. You will need a flue pipe damper to slow it down keeping it below these temps.

Primarily a coal stove, you can burn wood, but not efficiently.

If never painted or polished, use high temp paint on everything but stove top. If already polished, you will have to reapply polish frequently as needed since stove black, or polish is not impermeable to water and water vapor like paint, and will rust under the coating.

If using oven with wood, maintain correct flue temp and only circulate around oven above 600* internal flue temp showing 300* on pipe surface thermometer to avoid creosote, tar, and a gooey mess under and around oven. This is what the clean out door under oven is for. You will have to make your own long handled scraper to fit, and pull the flyash and soot accumulation out. These doors are usually missing when you find this model, and are rare. You could have some cast from yours if in good shape and sell to some members here that need them.

Remove eyes over firebox for stove top cooking with pots and pans getting direct flame contact. Do not try to adjust heat for cooking, move pots and pans to desired temperature on stove top.

Put a good exhaust hood over range to remove smoke from oiling top. Years ago the lard from pigs contained more amino acids and had a higher smoke point forming a better higher temperature coating. Crisco or linseed oil also works. The higher the smoke point the better. Letting bacon splatter and wipe across stove top eventually makes a decent coating. It will always burn off over firebox where it gets too hot.

This is a crash course in operation and maintenance, each topic should be researched and lots of technical info and tips will be found.

Last edited:
Can’t tell by the pic, but if someone coated the top with stove black, you’re going to work hard removing it. This depends on if it has been fired for final cure. If so, removing it from entire range I would highly recommend sand or media blasting. It is a major job removing it after firing, if it has not been fired for final cure it is possible to remove much easier. In that case, Stove Bright Satin Black after polish removal gives the closest to original finish you can get. Either way you should fire outside with a few sections of pipe for final cure.

The clearances to combustibles can be reduced to 12" if they are properly shielded with an NFPA 211 wall shielding system. Note that single-wall stove pipe has a clearance minimum of 18" clearance. This also can be reduced with shielding on the pipe or on the wall. The stove will need a proper chimney system. That is a separate topic. Will the stove be professionally installed, or DIY?

This thread is for the same stove in a bit different format.