Help with old Grizzly non cat insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Djclark

Nov 18, 2020
Dittmer MO
Hi I have a house built in 83 with a grizzly insert. It’s non cat has no dampener. It does have side fire box controls. I can’t keep a good fire lit in then stove no matter how well my coal bed is. Seasoned wood is used. It does not have the thermal squirrel cage has been swapped with with a non thermal blower (couldn’t find and original) can anyone help. Do I need a dampener in line maybe? Thanks! The house has a Add a Furnace by Monarch which heats the house when the upstairs insert is not enough. Dealing with two extremely out dated units here lol. Thanks

239416F9-8E4E-44DC-91D7-0BCCDF9FAC5C.jpeg 1438FDCC-9D1C-4BDC-8FBC-581147885A1B.jpeg

Hi I have a house built in 83 with a grizzly insert. It’s non cat has no dampener. It does have side fire box controls. I can’t keep a good fire lit in then stove no matter how well my coal bed is. Seasoned wood is used. It does not have the thermal squirrel cage has been swapped with with a non thermal blower (couldn’t find and original) can anyone help. Do I need a dampener in line maybe? Thanks! The house has a Add a Furnace by Monarch which heats the house when the upstairs insert is not enough. Dealing with two extremely out dated units here lol. Thanks

View attachment 267180 View attachment 267181
First does it have a liner hooked to the stove and running out the top of the chimney?

Next take the andirons out they have no place in a woodstove.

How seasoned is your seasoned wood? What moisture content is it at?

A damper would do the opposite of what you want

First does it have a liner hooked to the stove and running out the top of the chimney?

Next take the andirons out they have no place in a woodstove.

How seasoned is your seasoned wood? What moisture content is it at?

A damper would do the opposite of what you want

on the liner, I have no clue. It’s a chimney style application runs straight up and out of the roof.
As for the andirons, I’m guessing that’s the wood racks. It’s all I have and I don’t see how that is gonna cause any difference than anything else holding the wood. Correct me if wrong.

wood moisture content is under 20 anywhere from 12 to 18.

10-4 on the dampener, was just checking all of these I’ve seen online have had some kind of clue control.

on the liner, I have no clue. It’s a chimney style application runs straight up and out of the roof.
As for the andirons, I’m guessing that’s the wood racks. It’s all I have and I don’t see how that is gonna cause any difference than anything else holding the wood. Correct me if wrong.

wood moisture content is under 20 anywhere from 12 to 18.

10-4 on the dampener, was just checking all of these I’ve seen online have had some kind of clue control.
You should absolutely not be burning in a stove if you don't know that it is installed properly

A wood stove should have no wood racks in it you build the fire right on the floor.