Help with Osburn 2400 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure on that one. Quite a bit I would imagine. I thought you were ripping the old stove out and installing a new liner that will fit the new Osburn (should be a 6" liner")

I wonder how much more heat and efficiency I would gain for now with my old insert installing a liner vs the masonry chimney? I don't really want to spend the money on a new liner that I can't use with the new Osburn stove though?

A lot. But be careful. The old slammer inserts were not designed with the major draft a liner provides in mind. It will make a whole new wood burner out of it. And a learning experience in how to burn in it.

Not sure on that one. Quite a bit I would imagine. I thought you were ripping the old stove out and installing a new liner that will fit the new Osburn (should be a 6" liner")
I am but just thinking out loud. This thing works surprisingly well but likes to eat up the wood? If we're not feeding it every few hours the temp drops off Fast so we can't be gone all day and leave it running. That's why I want the new one.

I would think more draft = more wood in the slammer but I don't know since I never had one. I do know that I could go through a wheelbarrow load a day in an open fireplace (and get nothing but ambiance) and with the insert it'll last 2-3 days (and provide heat). It's a world of difference. I have the Osburn 1600 and love it, I bet that 2400 will be quite a heater.

I would think more draft = more wood in the slammer but I don't know since I never had one. I do know that I could go through a wheelbarrow load a day in an open fireplace (and get nothing but ambiance) and with the insert it'll last 2-3 days (and provide heat). It's a world of difference. I have the Osburn 1600 and love it, I bet that 2400 will be quite a heater.
How big is you're house? Ours is a bi level at about 1900. I figure might as well go big as the 2400 is cheaper than the 2200? According to my measure the 2400 will fit but I won't have much if any space to work with above it as far as hooking up the liner but I will figure that out.

Mine is tri-level abut 1000 sqft in basement and main floor and 4-500 on the top floor. Not much hope of heating the basement but it does a good job of heating the upper 2 floors. Basement is pretty well insulated so it stays about 65 most of the time. I keep the thermostat at 65 and it will kick on about 5 am. Other than that the stove does most of the work.

[qu amote="BrotherBart, post: 1593286, member: 6"]A lot. But be careful. The old slammer inserts were not designed with the major draft a liner provides in mind. It will make a whole new wood burner out of it. And a learning experience in how to burn in it.[/quote]
Just going to ask what you mean by being careful? I am thinking about hooking up the new liner to This insert for now until we can afford the new stove. Will the 6 inch liner work for the old insert, then I will just swap in the new stove when I get it. It sounds like you've done this any advice on how it will burn with the liner? Thanks

Yeah it'll work and give a lot better draft. Just don't be surprised by the hotter faster burn with the good draft.

Yeah it'll work and give a lot better draft. Just don't be surprised by the hotter faster burn with the good draft.

So can I run it with no dampner like I would with the new stove and just use the air control on the door to slow the fire down for longer burns, or do you think the fir

So will I be able to slow the fire down enough with the air controls enough like I would with the Osburn without a dampener? I already have good draft with the 20 foot chimney. I am looking for longer hotter burns. I just don't want to waste time running the liner to the old stove if it's really not going to make much difference.

Do it. You will like it. Quit overthinking it. Just learn to burn with the new setup.

Reactions: Redlegs
Colorado,
I was struggling with how to do the connection of my Osburn2400 insert to my liner and a fellow board member recommended this:
http://myfireplaceproducts.com/Catalog.aspx?Type=Accessories&Lang=EN

I used this on my install since I had so very little clearance. I also admit I felt a lot better knowing that joint was "mechanically connected".

Here is another thread similar to your situation https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...400-insert-couple-of-install-questions.75310/

Now, I saw you have to go with a 5.5 inch liner? I am sure someone offers that for sale somewhere on the web. I'll look around a little and then hit you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.