Help with Quadra Fire CB 1200 - Trap Door Adjustment, Low Heat Output, Ash Buildup, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ferant316

Oct 5, 2010
Central MA
So I have been posting on here for a long time for help with my stove. I bought a used Quadra Fire CB1200 for the first winter in my house in non-working condition and fixed it up. So far I have replaced: Control Box, Ignitor, Convection Blower, Combustion Blower.

Anyways, the problem I am facing now is the Burn Pot Clean out trap door is out of adjustment/sagging. The bottom door sometimes leaves a small gap to the ash pan, and the burnout door sags about 1/4" down on the right side (way farther than the Dime width maximum recommended. I think this is letting air leak as to start the stove I have to move the Feed Rod in the hopper up to 70, wait for fire and than slide it down to 55, and it normally takes 4 tries to get it going. If I slide the feed rod down to 50 or lower either the convection blower will never come on to heat the house, or it will come on for about 15 seconds and then take another few minutes before it comes on for seconds again.

Also, I have to clean and scrape the burnpot about every 4 hours or pellets will overflow out of the burnpot. I have to do a full cleaning (vacuum baffles, exhaust access door, ignitor box, fire box, ash pan, etc.) every 48 hours.

And worst of all the stove on high is struggling to keep the house at the 57 degrees the boil heats it to (As in it helps the boil cycle on and circulate less, but is not actually heating the area)

From all the research I have done on here it seems to suggest an air leak is cooling the fire which is causing trouble ignitions, pellets not burning completely which is requiring a higher feed rate which is overflowing the burn pot. I am not sure why it is not providing adequate heat but I am hoping that is related as well.

I have it disassembled now but I cannot figure out how to adjust the clean out system so the doors fit properly.

I would suggest pulling the burn pot out if you have not already and get the trap door into the burn pot adjusted. Youll need a new gasket, I dont think you would have much luck adjusting it without pulling it out though. You may have to do a little hammering/bending on the trap door. Then tackle the other door into the ash pan. They don't fit very tight but if its not closing or bouncing back you will have to do some bending or filing. Then put it back together and try again.

My trap door into the ash pan didnt close very well and while I didnt have the pellets backing up it didnt burn very well all, and I had to clean a lot.

I tried pulling the burnpot out years ago - the heat has essentially welded the bolts into the burnpot and no amount of PB Blaster, Torch, Impact Wrench could get them to budge.

I tried pulling the burnpot out years ago - the heat has essentially welded the bolts into the burnpot and no amount of PB Blaster, Torch, Impact Wrench could get them to budge.

Did you try a cutting wheel or a grinder? You may have to grind away carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.