Help with Russo stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cinnthya

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
I have a Russo wood/coal stove - came w/house I bought a year ago. Glass on door has 4 bolts and gasket, 2 of the 4 bolts are broken (too short for a nut)-broken bolts are on the same side-so the top of the glass is loose. I took it to the nearest service place, they said they couldn't replace the bolts-looks like they are part of the glass frame. Anyone have suggestions on what can I do to get better seal?

cinnthya said:
I have a Russo wood/coal stove - came w/house I bought a year ago. Glass on door has 4 bolts and gasket, 2 of the 4 bolts are broken (too short for a nut)-broken bolts are on the same side-so the top of the glass is loose. I took it to the nearest service place, they said they couldn't replace the bolts-looks like they are part of the glass frame. Anyone have suggestions on what can I do to get better seal?

Does your Russo stove look like mine? I live in the Pomfret, CT area. My Russo stove is sitting in my shed collecting dust and rust.
The glass is good, the Blower works and it has the rear heat shield also. You can take the whole thing away as parts for $50.00.

Thanks,
The WoodButcher

Attachments

• russo.jpg
    russo.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 703
......Or thake the door to a machine shop, and they can extract those broken bolts.

Woodbutcher's stove looks like a good deal, if it is the same as yours, you'll have lots of spare parts.

the bolts in question are tiny studs which are fastened to the sheet metal C channel which surrounds the glass. They are then bolted though the cat iron door, with a small spacer so air is designed to come in around the glass (a little).

A new frame will wrap around your glass, but if someone was really handy they could remove the frame, grind the studs flat, and braze or well a brass stud back on.....

this would be a LOT more work than getting a new frame.

Thanks for all suggestions/info.

Woodbutcher, what model is your stove? It looks pretty similar-mine has a blower on the back and might be a bit older. I've searched around internet and haven't found the frame part yet, I'm going to call Russo tomorrow to check it out.

cinnthya said:
Thanks for all suggestions/info.

Woodbutcher, what model is your stove? It looks pretty similar-mine has a blower on the back and might be a bit older. I've searched around internet and haven't found the frame part yet, I'm going to call Russo tomorrow to check it out.

My Russo has 4 fire bricks lining the back.....the bottom has 3 bricks (spaced apart with air spaces for the draft control).....It has a mini steel baffle that can fall down if you hit it with the poker or a log by mistake. It has a customed formed brick cast basin to fit the lower part of the firebox and large front steel teeth. It has the heavy duty bottom "shaker grate" that the bricks sit on and has two pickets for the window .......Hope this helps.............here are some scans from my manual.

Attachments

• russo_01.jpg
    russo_01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 875
  • russo_02.jpg
    russo_02.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 925
Status
Not open for further replies.