Help with Schrader wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

985speed

Nov 7, 2017
Sacramento, CA
Hello All.

Found this site and this forum is great. So much good info!

Looking for a bit of help with an old Schrader wood stove I have. It has a rectangle 4" x 12" chimney vent instead of a standard round pipe. This sq.in. area is 48" whereas an 8" circle has 50 sq.in. I am installing this stove in my shop and have questions about what I size chimney piping I should be using. Right now I have a piece of 6" pipe welded to the back of it but this round has a sq.in of only 28". It burns good and hot now but it's only got a few feet of chimney on it. Once properly installed, I am going to have about 12' of vertical pipe inside before I cut through the side and add a stack. With this much vertical right off the back of the stove, do you think I should run 6" or 8" chimney?

IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1843.JPG

Thanks!
JB

8"

Agree on 8", and I would not make the transition like that. Too restrictive.