Help with stove adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmith7000

Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2009
Spokane, WA
I am installing an insert and after installing with the stove adapter upside down, I have pulled it all apart and flipped it over. My question is that the single wall side of the adapter that goes into the stove doesn't fit very tight at all, on one side it has maybe a 1/32nd gap. I have read a couple of threads on here with people saying they don't use a sealant on these connections. Will I be OK not using a sealant and just screwing it together? I really want to get this thing in and the stores are all closed for the night. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I put a bead of furnace cement inside the flue collar before inserting the adapter. It is the only thing that is going to survive the heat at that high temperature part of the stove. I didn't one time and the next time I stuck a mirror in the stove their was a glazed black streak in the liner where cold air was being pulled in by the draft.

yup that's what i did as well smeared furnace cement all around the flue collar before i stuck it in

Status
Not open for further replies.