Help with stove and smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Hey all, last year we installed a Summers Heat epa smartstove woodstove. This year when operating and having the "air" closed off, every now and then it will "burp" and flames with appear and then we will smell smoke in the house. What is causing this? Also, if it is all closed, why are we smelling smoke in the house? Thanks.

Hey all, last year we installed a Summers Heat epa smartstove woodstove. This year when operating and having the "air" closed off, every now and then it will "burp" and flames with appear and then we will smell smoke in the house. What is causing this? Also, if it is all closed, why are we smelling smoke in the house? Thanks.
Several things can cause this. Most common are wet wood and or inadequate draft.

Several things can cause this. Most common are wet wood and or inadequate draft.
Never had any issues last year. Wood should be seasoned as it has been split and under shed for a few years. Chimney is 15'+ and have 4' of double wall pipe into 90. Also temps were around 30 this AM, but was around 40s when this happened.

The stove is not supposed to be operated in a way that there are no flames in the box, unless the fuel has been consumed.

It's called a puffback. This happens when the fire is smoldering, with no flame. Wood gases and smoke build-up in the firebox, then a tiny flame erupts and ignites this mix causing a small (or sometimes not so small) explosion.

In this case, the flue setup may be contributing to the issue, but most likely there is some wetter wood in the mix and/or the air has been closed down too far causing the flame to go out. Another thing to check is the chimney cap if it has a screen. This could be a sign that it is plugging up, weakening draft, so that the prior air control setting is now insufficient. Or the species of wood is much denser needing more air.

Thank you. I will check out the cap. I did put 1/2” galvanized wire around it during summer as birds were coming in. I wouldn’t think 1/2” would plug already. But will check it. Thanks for the info.

Thank you. I will check out the cap. I did put 1/2” galvanized wire around it during summer as birds were coming in. I wouldn’t think 1/2” would plug already. But will check it. Thanks for the info.
I’ll betcha a nickel, that it’s gummed up pretty bad..

This year when operating and having the "air" closed off, every now and then it will "burp" and flames with appear and then we will smell smoke in the house.

do you have the air control pulled all the way out? (fully closed) i usually run mine (my stove, my set, they're all unique) with the air at 3/4 fully closed, if i fully close it it'll smolder and back puff as you described.