Help with wiring mercury switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milleda31

Nov 15, 2021
Vancouver, WA.
I have a Comfortec CDV36RP gas fireplace on which I recently replaced the gas valve. The gas valve is a Robertshaw as shown in the attached picture. The fireplace also has a mercury switch which is similar to the one shown in the attached picture.

My situation that requires assistance is regarding the two wires that come off the mercury switch. In my haste to replace the gas valve, I didn't pay close attention to the connection of the two wires from the terminals of the mercury switch. I have everything else wired back up.

I'm pretty sure one attaches to the top terminal. Where does the other connect? Middle or bottom terminal?

Thank you in advance.

Valve.jpg
Switch.jpg
Pilot Assembly.jpg

Any switch connected to a millivolt type has valve should be connected to the TH & TH-TP labelled terminals. TH = THermostat (which is a switch). TP = ThermoPile.

Reactions: clancey
I have a Comfortec CDV36RP gas fireplace on which I recently replaced the gas valve. The gas valve is a Robertshaw as shown in the attached picture. The fireplace also has a mercury switch which is similar to the one shown in the attached picture.

My situation that requires assistance is regarding the two wires that come off the mercury switch. In my haste to replace the gas valve, I didn't pay close attention to the connection of the two wires from the terminals of the mercury switch. I have everything else wired back up.

I'm pretty sure one attaches to the top terminal. Where does the other connect? Middle or bottom terminal?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 285472View attachment 285473View attachment 285474
When you installed the new replacement Robertshaw Valve (I assume it was model SRV7529109) did the Mercury flame switch then become obsolete? Did you end up leaving those wires off? Did the existing thermopile still work with the new valve or did you end up replacing that too?