Help with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigduce13

Nov 13, 2014
North carolina
I got a WHOLE bunch of this and used some last winter. Burns complete, little ash, no smoke and HOT!!

Don't know what it is but I like it! I'm in NC and it was free (about 2 cords). Very hard, twisted, had to wait about 1 year to split on hydrolic splitter because it was so twisted and tough.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

At the end of the day, if it burns hot and long, who gives a poo other than to keep splitting! and try and get more!

Any info on where it came from? Any leaves?

I'm not familiar with seasoned osage or it's mature bark,,,, but I'm wondering if one with experience could give a ya or nay.

pen

Best find ever....

We had a tornado go through Raleigh a few years ago and it knocked down a lot of old oaks, hickory, and pine. Well the city said "cut it in 6ft lengths and put it to the road keeping the branches separate and we will come around and get it"

I scored more freaking red, white oak and hickory than I actually had room for and gave away a bunch. The wood in the pic became my albatross because it took me 3 chains to cut it (4-6foot sections, no branches about 1 1/2ft across) and almost a year wait to split it because it was so twisted and hard inside.

The following year my neighbor took down a beautiful white oak that was leaning over his house and I asked the cutters what they were doing with it. They said they would have to pay someone to remove the trunk section, I told them to drag it across the street and I would get rid of it and they did!

When the new neighbors moved in next door I offered to help clean up when they took down about 20 trees. More red and white oak and a couple of hickory trees for the stack!

I'm a cheap bastard and refuse to pay someone when I can just ask around and get for free.

Reactions: Alex C
Status
Not open for further replies.