HELP!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newboileruser

Dec 11, 2019
Ohio
Hi I'm not sure what boiler I have all I know is its my first time ever heating using a boiler. Problem is that my fire isn't burning just smoldering and it won't heat my house properly. On warm days say 40° it stays 74 in my house but nights like tonight, its 24° outside and my house won't stay a steady temp first it was 74 now its only 68 and still dropping. I went and bought a creosote log as thats what a neighbor told me to do, but I have a lot of wood in the boiler thats not burning down. Its as if its not got enough air flow because my blower constant stays on. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated as its the only way I have to keep my boys warm.

You need to give us a lot more details before we can do much.

Is it actually a boiler that heats water or a hot air furnace?

Is it a hot water boiler or steam boiler?

Is this a indoor or outdoor boiler installation ?

What make and model is the boiler?

Is this a new installation?

Was this boiler running before satisfactorily for someone else but is new to you? Did you move into a new place and the boiler was there?

Is the boiler truly the only heating source?

If it's a new boiler to you where did the wood come from?

If its a new boiler to you has it and the associated stove pipe and chimney been cleaned and inspected by a qualified person?

Without any information the usual suspects are

1. Wood that is not fully seasoned, if you bought the wood unless it kiln dried the number 1 issue with new stove of boiler owners is that their wood is too wet, despite the wood sellers claims that it was dry. It needs to be cut, split, dried and stacked correctly for a minimum of one year and depending on the type of wood it could take two years. Rarely if ever will a wood dealer have this in stock any time of the year and especially this time of year. Your initial description is a classic symptom of wet wood. This can only be cured with time and proper seasoning techniques. The standard backup plan is see if your heating device is rated for "bio bricks" (note there are different trade names) These are bricks of compressed sawdust. They can be bought in many hardware stores. Its highly dependent on your heating demand but you may need a couple of tons of these bricks and they need to be stored in a dry place.

2. A creosote log is not going to magically clear a partially plugged chimney. If you do have a partially plugged chimney it most likely is plugged with creosote, if you do get a good hot fire going, the creosote may start burning and you could have a chimney fire which may mean you no longer have a house. Get the system inspected and cleaned ASAP.

3. Since you are new to burning, be aware that burning wood generates ash and you will need to routinely remove and properly dispose of the ash. The ash may look like its not burning but there can be coals mixed in that could start a fire for several days. The only safe place to store ash is outdoors. There have been many house fires caused by improper ash disposal.

I expect many folks on this forum can walk you through your issues once we know enough. In the meantime stay safe, if that means moving somewhere temporarily until you make sure things are safe, that may be what you have to do. If you are new to area ask around for help, check with the local fire department, they normally know local qualified chimney sweeps. If you are involved with church or social groups ask around for help from other wood burners. They probably cant solve your wet wood issues unless someone has big inventory of dry wood. You may (and i stress the may) be able to work out a swap for some dry wood if the other burner is a few years ahead.

Yes there is no info to go by here. Start with posting pictures.

The first suspect almost always with complaints about lack of heat is wet wood.

And chimney sweeping logs are a gimmick that won't fix an issue.